Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First post so go easy on me ,please. My uncle passed away and I was gifted his 2009 KLR. Prior to his death, the bike had been sitting close to 4 years and of course would not start.

I changed the oil, put a new air filter in, new battery, replaced the spark plug and emptied and cleaned out the tank, replaced the factory fuel inlet(the one actuated by vacuum) and replaced with a manual petcock. I took off the carb, soaked in carb cleaner and replaced every jet, needle and rubber gasket, as well as the rubber diaphragm on the slide. I have also adjusted the fuel float and verified the proper level is dialed in. As I have been fiddling around, I have been experiencing the same issue, with no noticeable change and that issue this: The bike starts right up fine, but the moment it is given ANY throttle, the bike bogs down and dies. This morning I started it again, and it accepted some throttle without dying, but this was temporary and soon went away.

Everything I have read points me to the carb, but I seem to have done everything that could be done and am lost at this point. Someone, please help. This is the first time I've ever worked on a motorcycle and have just about had it , but don't want to give up. Any help is super appreciated !

·
Registered
259 Posts
Since you indicated you are a first timer, I would suggest that your carb is still not "clean". New jets won't help if there are dirty passageways, which there are many in that controlled fuel leak called a carb. I use an ultrasonic cleaner, and then push carb cleaner through every orifice, making sure that about 1/2 the cleaner gets in my eyes...Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
Did you even notice the 4 low speed transition holes under the bottom lip of the throttle butterfly plate?

They get all of their fuel from the pilot jet also, as does the external low speed mixture screw. If any or all of them are restricted due to fuel varnish you will have issues.
I use a tiny wire, bent 90 degrees to poke down thru those 4 tiny holes and with the pilot jet removed from its tower, back-flush the passageway with carb cleaner & compressed air.

Have you reviewed this yet? Read the high-lighted link, within the link and then watch the videos Twice. https://www.klrforum.com/how-tos-tech-guides/45258-care-feeding-cvk40.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
You should inspect the diaphragm for any hole or if it's installed properly. Inspect vacuum hose. Vacuum is needed to rise the diaphragm. If ou installed a manual petcock, did you plug the hose?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should inspect the diaphragm for any hole or if it's installed properly. Inspect vacuum hose. Vacuum is needed to rise the diaphragm. If ou installed a manual petcock, did you plug the hose?
I put a new diaphragm in and verified it was installed properly. I also made sure to cap off the no longer needed vacuum line with the manual petcock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually did notice those 4 small holes and made sure to clean them out with an old guitar wire.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
CD, Did you make sure the starting enricher/choke nut wasn’t broken with all the work you’ve done so far and the cable is properly adjusted.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It’s just the carb. Very common. Takes a really good cleaning or it’ll keep doing that. Lots of good info here or on YouTube.

Let us know how it shakes out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pop the muffler off real quick to make sure it's not plugged up for some reason. It won't take long to do it and it's worth a check.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rocky Mountain ATV has a good video on how to go through the carb.

https://youtu.be/orug43veeuc

My advice would be to completely disassemble the entire carb and blow out all of the Circuits; Enricher, Coasting Enricher, Main, Pilot. Basically if you see a hole, Spray it out or blow it out with air.
Soaking the carb is ok, but there are some things like fine sand that won't dissolve by soaking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SOLVED. Disassembled for the 10th time and placed in the ultrasonic with simple green for 15 minutes and re sprayed every orifice. Currently running for the first time in 5 years, thank you all.

·
Registered
259 Posts
SOLVED. Disassembled for the 10th time and placed in the ultrasonic with simple green for 15 minutes and re sprayed every orifice. Currently running for the first time in 5 years, thank you all.[/QUOTE
As my wife would say....told you so....0:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts