Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '08 I have a DG exhaust, drilled the slide, had 2 shims under the needle, 145 main jet. Bike was running fine, looked at the plug, it was white, exhaust black sooty, Installed a 148 jet, removed the shims, now the bike starts, runs, but at 1/4 to almost 1/2 throttle, it spits and sputters, over 1/2 throttle, it seems fine, any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm confused. You have some contradicting info here. A white plug indicates a lean condition. Black sooty exhaust would be a rich condition. So it's got to be one or the other. Was it a new plug? If so how long did you ride it before looking at it again?

As for the fuel level. Is your gas tank full? Did you mess with the float height by any chance? How new is the gas that is in it?

Also if the bike was running fine why would you remove the shims and increase the jet size? I would suggest just going back to how you had it. It does sound like it is getting too much fuel. If you are unsure take your bike for a decent length ride and recheck the plug.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes it was a fairly new plug, it was white, and the exhaust was black, I figures out what my problem is, when I took out the main jet and jet holder, evidently, the jet needle fell out now i can't find it, so i have to wait till tuesday to see if any local dealer has one.

That is what happens when you don't pay attention and try to hurry

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My understanding is that a 1990 and up HD Sportster and the KLR use the same carb. Kawasaki wants $28.00 dollars for their part and HD wants $8.00, I would assume they are the same part, unless the HD part has a larger I.D., because the Sporster is a bigger engine.

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
That's the part that I always warn people about. It's under your workbench.

The HD part should be the same.

BTW, you should not have changed jet sizes. You haven't done anything to the breathing to warrant a jet change. You will very likely be too rich.

T

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
My understanding is that a 1990 and up HD Sportster and the KLR use the same carb.
Not exactly, Icepick, IMHO. The Harley CV40 and the Kawasaki CVK40 are similar with considerable parts interchangeability, but . . . the Harley carb has an accelerator pump and, I think, a different mounting scheme from the Kawasaki-specific component.

Can't speak to needle commonality.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i spoke with a Harley mechanic at the dealer today, and he was pretty confident that it would work, at least the needles are the same, i went ahead and ordered it, $8.00 opposed to $28.00 from Kawasaki, I forgot to mention in my original post that I drilled some 1" holes in the airbox, and the plug was white as a sheet.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
i got 1 1/2 turns on a/f screw...
This is a very lean setting. Can I suggest you try it at 2 full turns out from stopped? 2.25 turns out won't hurt anything. With today's fuels, the inconsistency of the blends, the tendency for ethanol blends to separate, I would find it difficult to totally rely on plug readings. You certainly can't ignore the white plug, either. I suspect that rider's with carburetted bikes will have a not too distant future of problems with the fuel supply.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the part from Harley, as it turns out, it is the same carb as a Sportster, but the orifice and the needle are larger,(the carb has to feed more fuel for the larger engine, Duh...) so I put it in a lathe, turned the jet down to fit into the carb. Then filled the jet with solder, put it back in the lathe, and bored the hole for the needle, works pretty well, I still ordered the OEM part from the dealer, so I'll run this one till it comes in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just got back from Branson, Mo. 200ish miles, soot all over the fender, I still have the 148 jet in the carb, going to check the plug in the morning, will probably put the 145 back in, and get a new plug.
it doesn't make since if the plug is white, and there is soot in the rear fender.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
just got back from Branson, Mo. 200ish miles, soot all over the fender, I still have the 148 jet in the carb, going to check the plug in the morning, will probably put the 145 back in, and get a new plug.
it doesn't make since if the plug is white, and there is soot in the rear fender.

Burning oil?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I topped off the oil level before my trip, at a little over 400 miles, i needed to top it off again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts