Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started having a problem recently. I'm not sure when it started but here it is.

When I start the bike and it's cold, everything is fine. A little choke and then a minute or two and the bike idles fine (though a little high). When the bike gets good and warmed up, I get pretty high rpm's (2500-3000) at idle unless I slow it down with high gear at slower speed right before I stop.

I had the carb off a couple of months ago, but everything seemed to be fine until recently. The carb is not shimmed and the screw is out about 1 3/4 turns.

Is the deceleration diaphram not seated maybe? I think the choke is adjusted okay but not positive?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Shooter, after the motor is hot does it ever actually idle down to 1200 - 1400 RPMs? First, I'd check the throttle and choke cables for binding. You can do this by tugging and wiggling the cables while the motor is running and see if there's any change in RPM. Also check the plastic fitting at the carb end of the choke cable - sometimes they get broken inadvertently when the carb is removed or rotated. If all that checks out OK, try adjusting the big idle speed screw on the right side of the carb and see how it does.
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, GreenGene.

I am iding at about 1400 or so when the engine is not warmed up. I will have to check on the idle speed when it is hot. I can't remember off the top of my head.

I checked the throttle and return cables and it didn't seem to be binding. I wonder if the return cable is not adjusted properly?

I will check the high dollar plastic choke fitting when I get home.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Usually an increase in idle speed after warm up indicates a lean fuel condition. Possible causes are:

Vacuum leak. Check vac lines, carb - manifold junction.

Partially plugged or blocked jet. Try draining the float bowl.

Dirty air filter.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I'm guessing ..... but my guess would be the adjustment of the cables where they bolt onto the carb. :?:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm going to give it a guess also. Check your float height. My sons XR80 was doing that and it was the float. Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GreenGene was the closest. I had the choke cable in a bind. I don't know how I got the choke cable all tangled up but it was. I removed it from the bracket and rerouted it and everything was good after that. I did adjust the idle after that. And then went for a long test ride.

The bike has never run better (knock on wood).

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts