Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2- klr650’s that sat too long. Both carbs gummed up. I don’t have time to rebuild/ clean the carbs. Was considering using rebuilding service, about $135 each. or just buying two new carbs on eBay/ amazon about $100 each. Advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

· Registered
861 Posts
Do not buy the 'chineseum' carbs. If you do decide to replace them make sure you get 'genuine' Keihin carbs (CVK).

· Registered
216 Posts
Pay $135 for a quality clean if you aren't going to do it yourself, eBay and Amazon Chinese carbs are for those with no other option. You have quality OEM carbs that just need a good cleaning, paying $135 is a far better deal than $100 junk. Best bet would be to do it yourself, but I understand that time is a precious commodity that not everyone has.

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Gen 3
212 Posts
Just found 3 videos on how to rebuild, or just clean, a KLR 650 carb. Now I've never done one, but I've rebuilt plenty of Carter and Rochester "Quadrajunk" carburetors for cars and the KLR looks to be, IMHO, fairly straightforward. I wholeheartedly agree with the other guys, try to keep the original.

Regards, Jim.

· Registered
2006 EM 719cc, head rebuild, KLX jet, torsion doo, fork brace, through bolt, progressive and 16t
51 Posts
I have 2- klr650’s that sat too long. Both carbs gummed up. I don’t have time to rebuild/ clean the carbs. Was considering using rebuilding service, about $135 each. or just buying two new carbs on eBay/ amazon about $100 each. Advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Take some wire that is laying around like 12 AWG stranded use one of the strands to clean out the jets. Takes no time and you get to see what else might be wrong after letting it set for so long

· Premium Member
12,562 Posts
Reminds me of the early Yamaha Electric-Start TTR mini-bike commercials on TV.
"But mister, I just want to Ride."

Either pay an acquaintance who rides a KLR, a friend who rides a KLR, a shop that you know or do it yourself.
Or purchase chineseum from e-bay and hope for the best. But don't throw away your OEM Keihin carbs.

Reactions: PineyTom
1 - 11 of 11 Posts