Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As for motorcycling, I?ve had nothing but street bikes for 20 years. I?ve grown tired of having expensive bikes that I worry about more than I play with, so I want a less expensive bike I can ride into the ground and not obsess over. A scratch on the KLR gives it integrity instead of a trip to the painters. Last summer I had a big eye opener when I rode my nephew?s 250cc dirt bike around their ranch, and I had waaaaaay more fun on the trails getting covered in dirt than I ever had riding on the street. So I started investigating dual sport bikes, read everything I could find, joined Glenn?s site a few months ago (my first forum), and I?ve now come to the decision to get a black ?07 KLR 650 (now only waiting for an IRS settlement coming shortly).

For background I?m 36 years old, wife Barbara who?s put up with me for 18 years, no kids ? just a house full of abused or abandoned dogs and cats who are now spoiled beyond comprehension. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, got an academic scholarship to USF and moved to Tampa, earned a Mechanical Engineering degree, then graduate work in vibrations, hydrodynamics and aeromechanics, and tribology (friction, wear, and lubrication). Working for a few defense contractors I designed low vibration propulsion systems and carbon fiber composite shafting for the US Navy, US Coast Guard, US Army, and several foreign militaries (allies of course); was a vibrations consultant for many diesel engine and transmission manufacturers; designed engine dynamometer test cell drivelines for all sorts of people (even did the Harley V-Rod test stand and fixed the S&S dyno); and did a little moonlighting testing motorcycle windshield prototypes.

I was working on projects all over the world, rarely being home, and working so much that I let my health go to hell until last January when I found myself in the hospital with heart attack symptoms = WAKE UP CALL! So last September I quit my engineering job, lost 70 pounds, and now I sit home day trading stocks while waiting to get dirty on a KLR. Besides motorcycles, I?m an avid gun freak along with interests in planes, helicopters, and home design.

Since I?m just now starting to learn about off road riding, I?m sure I?ll be annoying everyone with all sorts of questions, but I?ll try to search before I ask. Thank you in advance for your time and patience. Glad to meet everyone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very cool, Carl, we have alot of similar interests, it'll be great fun riding....
Feel free to ask anything about the KLR, I've had mine about 5 months so I think I'm on the upswing in the learning curve.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts