Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas on what you think works best for carrying camera gear on the bike. I plan on taking my clunky DSLR with me on the "good" trips to take care of my other addiction, photography.

So far the plan is to pack the camera with my favorite lens in a minimalist Tamrac bag and put that in the Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag. That way it is the easiest to get to when you need it fast. The other gizmos can ride in the aluminum panniers while wearing protection. I also have a tripod that cost more than I should have spent, and have been thinking of ideas on how to protect it in the event I dump the bike. I have ruled out making a PVC tube for it as the diameter of the tripod is just under 6" and by the time you glue the ends on a 6" pipe, it weighs more than you'd want to carry (trust me, I made one today!). Might just pack it in the H2O proof bag with the tent and sleeping bag. Not easy to get to but safer than just being strapped to the rack.

So fellow motophoto gear junkies, what works, what doesn't?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I carry my small idiotproof digital in a padded case, in my lockable (and watertight) Pelican case on the back of my bike.. I think the case was about $60, and I mounted it with stainless hardware and stainless fender washers in the box, with a dab of RTV in each hole.. I've never had a drop of water in there..

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got the Rainier Tank Bag from Wolfeman. I keep the camera body and 3 lenses in the main compartment and assorted accessories in the other compartments. So far it has worked out good. I also have one of those "I spent to much" tripods, it seems as soon as you say carbon fiber the price goes up. I am also looking for a way to mount my tripod, so if you find a good way, please share it with me. I would prefer that the mount conceals it. Don't need to advertise.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PA_KLR,
The Explorer Lite that I have has one big/expandable compartment that the camera with lens, a flash, flash bracket and a rain cover will fit in. The other small compartment is too small for much else but ear plugs. I like the size of the bag and really didn't want to go bigger. It doesn't bother me that the rest of the kit is in the panniers because if I need the longer lens, filters or anything else, I'll be parked and intentionally in photo mode.

On the tripod, yeah, nothing says steal me like Gitzo printed on the outside of the bag! I found a used no-name bag to keep it in. I have a rather large and heavy PVC contraption if your interested for yours! It was hard to judge how heavy the finished product would be in the store. Picking up the 10' piece of 6" PVC wasn't so bad, all I need is 2' of it, right?... and the ends were reasonable... ha! Freakin thing weighs 10 lbs empty!

AJay112,
I hate wearing backpacks. Logically, that is the best place to carry camera gear because your body acts as an additional shock absorber. I may toy with a chest type harness attachment for the Tamrac holster bag I have now. That would give it the added insulation from bumps and not be as uncomfortable as a backpack.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I've got a small, remarkably good little camera that one of my students gave me. It stays in my jacket pocket so I can whip it out quick. Takes decent video, too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I used to carry my DSLR in my tank bag till a semi pro photographer told my that the vibration and shaking around on the bike would eventually kill the camera and lenses. He said if I HAD to carry the camera on the bike, put it in a backpack. I stopped taking the big DSLR and lenses on the bike and just carry a little Sony Cybershot.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Camera gear

I carry a Nikon Coolpix S8000. Has a 10X zoom. The still images are great and takes pretty good video.
Here’s my carrier… http://powers31.info/NX250_Instrumentation.htm
( Black padded bag to right of ignition key in the “ Overall View “ )
It’s real handy where placed. Takes rough riding and accessible without getting off bike.

I used to carry my larger camera, but now all I take is the little Nikon and a “bean bag” for tripod substitute.
There’s a newer version of my camera, Nikon Coolpix S9100 18X zoom lens.

Last year while on vacation, in Yellow Stone, I took a lot of pix’s ( one handed ) right from drivers seat while driving. Not perfect pix’s but sometimes you just can’t stop.
( Drivers seat of my car. I’d never try that from a bike!! )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts