Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waking barbie up from her winter hibernation I noticed the CDI under the seat is getting warm. I can keep my hand on it but to me it seems a little too hot.
Is this normal? It got warm/hot after just a few minutes of running time.
Should I be looking for some cause ? Potential problem areas?

thx

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
That is your voltage rectifier.....it has fins on it? It gets rid of extra voltage supplied by the stator. You CDI should be under the right side of the tank. It should never get hot. I would test the voltages that are coming out of the stator and at the battery.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
The rectifier/regulator is under the seat. Stock design is a "shunt-type" voltage regulator, shunting excess voltage to frame ground, a process creating considerable heat as excess voltage shunts to ground. The aluminum heat sink and fins dissipate excess heat; normal for this component to be warm to the touch.

The CDI (on Generation 1 KLR650s only), housed in the black box of the "Igniter," is powered by alternating current from the exciter coil of the stator, rectifier/regulator not in ignition circuit; wouldn't expect heat buildup here, but if it occurred, might be a problem; not sure the ignition would function.

Generation 1 rectifier/regulator:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If you want to reduce the heat it suffers and heat will kill it over time. Move it out to the front where it can get fresh air over it. I have and it works well. You can extend the wiring as long as you extend each wire the same length so the resistance is the same as it was so to speak and one wire hasn't got more than the others. Mine lives on the engine guard right behind the front wheel. I have two mounted there so if one goes bad I can easily just move the wiring over to the second unit. I have done the same with my CDI unit. I have two inside my fairing that the wiring will easily reach both. It makes dealing with wiring issues far from home that much easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts