Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
615 Posts
the extra weight and loss of ground clearance makes a center stand unpopular for an off road based machine.

the convienence and ease of maintenance makes a center stand popular for a road based machine.

does that make it easier for you? didnt think so.... i didnt put one on either of my KLRs but it was the first thing i added to my vstrom.

· Registered
639 Posts
My old R1150GS had a center stand, and I think that was necessary fro such a big bike, but I don't think it's critical for the KLR.
Now I am a big believer in a "Stick" (trail jack) to raise the bike for tire changes, maintenance, etc. I have a trail jack made out of a crutch lashed onto one of my pannier racks; it weighs less than a center stand, and has served me very well for many years.

· Premium Member
867 Posts
As someone who has had a 'quality' center stand on the bike for a long time, I can say, it's a valuable piece of equipment. Especially for doing maintenance where having the bike level is more convenient.

The EM trail jack is a great piece for performing quick work on the trail/road but I wouldn't want to use that to change fork seals or pull the swingarm to grease bearings ect.

The best recommendation I can make in regards to adding a center stand is upgrade the factory bolts to a quality aftermarket type with a flanged head. The tolerance of said factory bolts is rather commodious to say the least.

I'm using the adjustable Happy Trail brand(very happy) but there are other good stands such as SW-motech ect.

Best wishes

· Registered
639 Posts
The EM trail jack is a great piece for performing quick work on the trail/road but I wouldn't want to use that to change fork seals or pull the swingarm to grease bearings ect.
An excellent point - I agree that a trail jack isn't secure and stable enough for doing any serious pounding (swingarm, etc.). I use a milk crate as a support for stuff like that; it's not perfect, but it works well enough.

· Registered
313 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
PO installed, I like it, I use it. Makes Chain cleaning very easy both in my garage or at a camp site. Rear tire service obviously easier as well. It can make general tinkering easier as the bike site straight up instead of the lean. Place a stick on the bash plate and you get the front off the ground for front tire servicing. Only issue I ever had was some slapping in big Woops. It does add weigh though its as low as you can go.

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
299 Posts
Thanks for the input, I guess all I can do is buy one and see. I swear I just keep buying stuff for that motorbike and it literally has like 250 miles on it. Completely outfitted with a bunch of stuff I dont really need, but it looks nice in the garage.
Stop buying stuff for it and go ride it :)
It is a KLR, well maintained it has a better than average chance of not breaking down out in the scrub. Would not worry about a centre stand, too heavy, loose clearance. Get a good little scissor lift or hoist for workshop work.

· Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for the input, I guess all I can do is buy one and see. I swear I just keep buying stuff for that motorbike and it literally has like 250 miles on it. Completely outfitted with a bunch of stuff I dont really need, but it looks nice in the garage.
What does a KLR and a Sailboat have in common? Both are money pits :rolleyes:

Well, truth be told all our boy toys are a big hole where we pour way too much money....what new motorcycle honey???

Cheers.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
399 Posts
What does a KLR and a Sailboat have in common? Both are money pits :rolleyes:

Well, truth be told all our boy toys are a big hole where we pour way too much money....what new motorcycle honey???

Cheers.
Try a Harley-Davidson! H-D is not short for Harley-Davidson.... it's hundreds of dollars (more like thousands & thousands....)!

I'm thinking the KLR and it's Parts/Accy's are reasonable when compared to what I was riding! It works OK with my lack of income now days.

Willie

Reactions: Hawkerjet

· Registered
2009 Kawasaki KLR650
74 Posts
I installed a SW Mototec center stand on my KLR as a first mod and it has been incredibly useful for maintenance in the garage and when camping. I had to pound on the swingarm rocker bolt for like a week straight so appreciated then. I’m usually decently loaded when camping so don’t notice too much extra weight. I did the mid Atlantic Backcountry discovery route last spring and it seemed fine for moderate off roading and was pretty close to my aftermarket skid plates ground clearance. I really like mine and would definitely install it again. I second the bolt upgrade for the foot pegs as mentioned earlier.

· Registered
15 Posts
Just my .02 cents; I have had 3 KLR's.
1st one Gen 1 no centerstand,
2nd one Gen 2 centerstand,
3rd one Gen 3 centerstand.
I love having it, makes lubing the chain a breeze and more thorough (put it in first let it idle while I lube).
Changing rear tire becomes a snap.
Tucks in in the garage better on the centerstand leaving more room to get by.
I have owned so many BMW's that all had them it just feels rinky dink to me not having one to use.

· Registered
96 Posts
Plus one for the stick. I cut a leg off an aluminum shower seat. The legs are two tubes that slide inside one another to adjust for height with a little spring loaded bit slipping into one of a number of holes. One end had the rubber foot and I turned a little wooden plug for the other. It's taped to the bottom of my side racks should I need it. For maintenence in the garage I have a proper lift.

· Registered
313 Posts
I'm thinking the KLR and it's Parts/Accy's are reasonable when compared to what I was riding! It works OK with my lack of income now days.

Willie
Lack of income...I resemble that remark.

When I was making a 6 figure income I had lots of expensive bikes. But now my John Deere KLR is the thrifty nickel.

Insurance is 1/4 of what it was on my 790 Duke. Reg is less than half.

I did spend quite a bit on the KLR doing all the mods and then some.

Oh then there are the price of tires. I can buy a set of Shinko 244's for less dollars than a premium brand back tire for my last several bikes.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts