Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello KLR enthusiasts

I purchased this centerstand off eBay. It's nice and went on nicely but when I lift the bike on its centerstand it goes so far forward it seems to rest on the foot handle and both tires are on the ground. The entire reason for purchasing it was to enable me to lift the bike up and service the chain at the gas station on long trips.... To make it easier to do.

I did not receive any instructions but it seemed straightforward. I decided to add that foot extension under the foot bar and at that position in the picture it's perfect. Gives me 2 inches of clearance... Perfect for servicing the chain and rear tire. Has anyone ran into this problem in the past? My solution is pretty simple.... Run a couple of beads of weld to see if I can't get it to rest in the higher position.

If I missing something please let me know. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
The last bike I owned with a center-stand was a 1975 Norton Commando. So, I'm not all that center-stand savvy. But if it were me, I'd simply slide a 2" X 4" beneath the center stand to provide the extra lift.

Jason

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Hello KLR enthusiasts

I purchased this centerstand off eBay. It's nice and went on nicely but when I lift the bike on its centerstand it goes so far forward it seems to rest on the foot handle and both tires are on the ground. The entire reason for purchasing it was to enable me to lift the bike up and service the chain at the gas station on long trips.... To make it easier to do.

I did not receive any instructions but it seemed straightforward. I decided to add that foot extension under the foot bar and at that position in the picture it's perfect. Gives me 2 inches of clearance... Perfect for servicing the chain and rear tire. Has anyone ran into this problem in the past? My solution is pretty simple.... Run a couple of beads of weld to see if I can't get it to rest in the higher position.

If I missing something please let me know. Thank you
I think that I have seen that Brand of center stand on a KLR or 2.

The cross bar is simply too flimsy and bends, even if you try to add metal between the contact points, from what I recall.
It needs to be reinforced or better yet, re-engineered by the manufacturer.

I'd demand a refund.

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
I don't get the second and third picture at all. In the 2nd photo the stand is completely deployed? I don't see how you could even get it OFF the stand if this is how things turned out when you deployed it. Were you able to roll the bike forward off the stand with not much effort when the stand legs were pointed that far forward?

In the 3rd photo, you have something underneath the foot bar and your rear wheel is well off the ground. It's hard to see, but is the left leg of the stand off the ground in this photo, leveraging the bike over to the right and providing more clearance?

It would seem to me that whenever the legs reach the vertical position, whatever is supposed to keep them vertical is not keeping them vertical. They are pivoting too far forward past the apex, thus lowering the bike again after it had reached at its highest point and where everything was supposed to stop. Well, I guess it would be "just past" the highest point. If it stopped at the highest point, it would be easy for the bike to roll backwards off the stand when you didn't want it to...............

Making the legs longer by running some welds on them isn't going to do any good. It will just place more stress on the mechanism that is supposed to stop everything at the point where the legs are totally vertical and that mechanism will eventually break because it's probably not all that robust in the first place. It's designed just to keep the bike from rolling past the apex of movement (where the legs are vertical and the bike is at its highest point) not to actually help support the weight of the motorcycle and that's what it would be doing if the legs weren't completely vertical.

I don't know if it's a design or an installation flaw, but I would say that's what your root problem is and what you need to figure out. When deployed, the legs of the stand should be, if not completely vertical, then way closer to it than they are in your photos. On any centerstand I've ever seen, it wouldn't even be physically possible for the legs to move forward as far as far yours do. In fact, when I first saw your photos, I thought "What did he do? Put the whole thing on backwards?"

If you keep putting stuff under the foot bar to get the clearance you want, the foot bar will just eventually bend and break.

Have somebody watch as you engage the stand. Stop when the legs are completely vertical and I think you'll find that's the rear wheel clearance you're looking for and as you continue to where the stand is "locked," the entire bike lowers again and your rear tire clearance disappears.

You need to figure out why the stand legs can travel so far past vertical when the stand is deployed and "locked."

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
planalp, Part of that stands problem is the contact points underneath as sort of seen in pic #4. That is where the OP intends to weld up a more rearward Stop for the legs, the backside of the cross bar.

But if that stand is like the 2 I've seen, the cross bar may be too twistable due to being too light of gauge or too soft of steel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would seem to me that whenever the legs reach the vertical position, whatever is supposed to keep them vertical is not keeping them vertical.
Yes....... and that's what I think is defective in this part.

I am currently in communication with the seller right now for a refund. The only thing that's keeping it from swinging even further is the foot arm......... which cannot be safe. What is in picture 3.... under the foot arm is one of the extenders that came with the center stand. They go on the lower legs to give it a couple of inches extra clearance but it is absolutely impossible to lift it up on the stand unless your Mr Olympia. What I was trying to illustrate is by putting that under the foot arm it keeps the center stand more straight and shows the two inches of clearance in the rear-wheel. If I were to keep it I would weld a couple Stoppers to keep the arm more vertical. But I figure if I'm buying a center stand the last thing I want to do is weld this and weld that to make it work. It should work from the factory.

pdwestman.......ironically the reason I purchased this stand was it looked beefier than others haha! In fact the crossbar is nice and strong and sturdy but there's nothing stopping the arms from swinging forward. It's an easy throw to get it up on the stand.....we'll see what the seller will do. Worst case scenario I'll just weld some Stoppers

a couple of pictures I sent to the seller

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
planalp, Part of that stands problem is the contact points underneath as sort of seen in pic #4. That is where the OP intends to weld up a more rearward Stop for the legs, the backside of the cross bar.

But if that stand is like the 2 I've seen, the cross bar may be too twistable due to being too light of gauge or too soft of steel.
Ah, I see I misunderstood what the OP was getting at as a fix. I got it now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Better off without
My 2011 KLR had a stand that mounted where the pegs mount and I got rid of it. The KLR is already lower than most dual sport bikes and the stand makes it even lower. If you are using the bike as most of us do, then you will be hitting the stand and eventually breaking it. I now carry a leg brace that allows me to lift the bike against the kickstand for chain maintenance or repairing a flat tire.
Mikey

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Better off without

I kinda thought the same.

Based on usage and planned trips I didn't really foresee a problem with the center stand. I understand that you can't foresee obstacles, problem areas and such but I figure I could get by with it. The ease of just throwing it on the center stand and getting the spray can and spraying the chained seemed more inviting.

I've been telling myself for some time to buy a Snap Jack... for other bikes I have. I was also considering on configuring and welding up a piece of aluminum that would be easy to throw the bike up on one wheel...... and still might.

Anybody use a Snap Jack?

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
I opted to install an OEM centerstand on my Strom, but I never installed one on my KLR. I just used an Eagle Mike Quick-Jack when nothing more than a piece of broomstick or 2x2 cut to the correct length would have done the job just as well. I once did a roadside rear tire tube change (removing the rear wheel) using the Quick-Jack after running over a large nail. No problems at all. Only plus I see over a stick or dowel is that the QJ takes up less space:

https://www.eaglemike.com/Quick-Jack-qj.htm

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Had they even invented TIG welders yet, back then? :)

Reactions: Weav

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The centerstand saga continues

After I removed the center stand from the bike and upon closer examination there appears to be nothing to stop the arm from swinging forward other than that bead of weld resting on the inside of that crossbar....mainly on one side. And if you look closer at the arms on both legs near the top it appears to have small indents from where it must have rested on something to stop it from going further on another stand in a different life. However it's been powder coated over??.......and no stop tabs? Like parts were grabbed from a leftover bin just thrown together to make a center stand.

I don't think I even want to make it work.... I just want my money back

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I Think you are missing pieces.

That center-stand is the Studebaker stand and it is supposed to come with additional spacers to add for the bike when it is stock height. It is meant to have the spacers taken off only for a bike that has been lowered so if your bike has not been lowered you need the spacers. Your picture shows that your stand does not have the spacers on it and you can see the threaded holes for the feet. You should contact the guy that sold it to you and demand the missing parts. I have heard that there are some sellers peddling defective knock off versions of this stand on Ebay so you might want to try and return it? I attached pictures of the stand from TPI Motorcycle Parts website with and without the feet added. Here is the link to TPI's page for this stand with their description.

https://tpimotorcycleparts.com/product/klr-650-tpi-klr-adjustable-center-stand/

P.S. - I no longer use a center-stand because of how much extra stress it puts on the weak foot-peg mount design on the KLR that most center-stands attach to. Better safe than sorry.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I cant find these locally in Australia!! Would be handy for by the road maintenance.

Sorry I cannot be of any help.

Ross
No idea of the cost and inconvenience of shipping to Australia, but . . . Happy Trails markets an adjustable-height center stand. My experience, does the job, has lasted years. NOT a, "ride-off," stand, according to the literature.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
P.S. - I no longer use a center-stand because of how much extra stress it puts on the weak foot-peg mount design on the KLR that most center-stands attach to. Better safe than sorry.
That was a consideration of mine as well. The mounts don't look quite as sturdy as it could be but I figured for the brief time it would be on the center stand for basic chain/tire maintenance it would be okay.

It did come with those foot extensions and I did install them but it is impossible to get it up its centerstand with those installed. But even with those installed I've never seen a center stand swing so far forward to where the tires rest on the ground. Actually.... If it wasn't for the foot arm it would lean even further forward. This must be one of those cheap knockoffs on eBay.

If this centerstand just rested more vertically there would be no undue stress on the footpeg mounts, no problems getting it up on the stand, no problems getting it off the stand, and there would be 3 or 4 inches of space between the rear wheel in the ground... Perfect for maintenance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts