Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
I hesitate to suggest that your weight or mine on the footrest bolts while in-motion on Rough Roads is harder on the footrest bolts than simply lifting the bikes 'stationary' 400+ pounds onto a centerstand.

Reactions: knappyfeet

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I hesitate to suggest that your weight or mine on the footrest bolts while in-motion on Rough Roads is harder on the footrest bolts than simply lifting the bikes 'stationary' 400+ pounds onto a centerstand.
I would like to consider my 270-pound wait to be husky... Thank you very much hahaha

·
Registered
97 Posts
The mounts don't look quite as sturdy as it could be but I figured for the brief time it would be on the center stand for basic chain/tire maintenance it would be okay.

It did come with those foot extensions and I did install them but it is impossible to get it up its centerstand with those installed.

If this centerstand just rested more vertically there would be no undue stress on the footpeg mounts, no problems getting it up on the stand, no problems getting it off the stand, and there would be 3 or 4 inches of space between the rear wheel in the ground... Perfect for maintenance.
I find the problem with the KLR foot peg mounts is that the two holes in the mounting flange only have 2-3 threads to hold the bolt. I replaced the bolts with higher grade bolts that also had a wider shoulder on the bolt to distribute the load better across the face of the mounting flange. If I had kept the center stand on it I would have put a small tack weld on each side of the stand and pegs that could easily be removed with a Dremel tool if I wanted to remove it.

It does look like yours swings a bit to far forward and perhaps a dot of weld on each side of the stops would help that? Bear in mind it does have to swing past center to keep it from easily rocking off the stand while you're working on it.

I have put a lift handle on every bike I've ever had with a center stand, if it didn't already have one. SW Motech makes one for the KLR and you can get it from Rocky Mountain for $28. (pictures & link attached) You might find it even cheaper on eBay but I don't know if it comes with the hardware like Rocky's does? I have one and it worked fine when I had my stand and makes lifting the behemoth onto the stand easy. Left hand on the handlebars, right hand on the lift handle, right foot on the center stand pedal and it will pop right up.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...stand-lifting-handle-p?0&idd1=65924&idd2=5177

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is my centerstand, I do my maintenance in my shop not on the side of the trail but YMMV;

Dave
This is what I use, it takes up less space in my shop. 16.5" x 15.5" x 4.25 on the dolly. Jack without dolly is 15" x 9" x 3.5" high. Will lift up to 14.25" high on the dolly, 13.5 high without the dolly. Optimistically rated for 1100lbs but more than strong enough to lift the KLR and is very stable

Attachments

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
39 Posts
I can see this topic is a little over a year old but is the same issue I found with my Mastech brand center stand

It rested too far back and the stops it should have to avoid this are wrongly positioned. My stand seems to be held in place by the foot bar meant for stepping on while deploying the stand.

Mastech never responded. They have no CS. Never ever buying anything from them. I’d need to modify the part on my own and still bike rests on both tires. It is way short as well as it leans too far back.

I took my carburetor out for cleaning a few days ago and was forced to remove the crash bar and upon doing so the foot peg bolts on the right side foot peg were found cross threaded.

These two bolts undergo too much stress with the foot peg and crash bar, adding the center stand calls for trouble because these are small bolts that can not offer the required torque

Took the center stand off for now after repairing the threads , just left the stand brackets to keep the space in there (otherwise I’d need spacers)

I do like the convenience of the center stand and it’s stability but I would like find a taller better engineered product and a different way to mount it

Probably welding brackets onto the frame independent from the foot peg bolts would be the way , something Kawasaki should had thought about given this is not a motocross bike but a dual sport adventure vehicle

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
39 Posts
I can see this topic is a little over a year old but is the same issue I found with my Mastech brand center stand

It rested too far back and the stops it should have to avoid this are wrongly positioned. My stand seems to be held in place by the foot bar meant for stepping on while deploying the stand.

Mastech never responded. They have no CS. Never ever buying anything from them. I’d need to modify the part on my own and still bike rests on both tires. It is way short as well as it leans too far back.

I took my carburetor out for cleaning a few days ago and was forced to remove the crash bar and upon doing so the foot peg bolts on the right side foot peg were found cross threaded.

These two bolts undergo too much stress with the foot peg and crash bar, adding the center stand calls for trouble because these are small bolts that can not offer the required torque

Took the center stand off for now after repairing the threads , just left the stand brackets to keep the space in there (otherwise I’d need spacers)

I do like the convenience of the center stand and it’s stability but I would like find a taller better engineered product and a different way to mount it

Probably welding brackets onto the frame independent from the foot peg bolts would be the way , something Kawasaki should had thought about given this is not a motocross bike but a dual sport adventure vehicle
Wanted to post photos but there is no provision for it

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
As you've noted, the footpeg mounting bolts have enough issues without adding a centerstand to the mix. Personally, I'll never have a centerstand on any bike that is used offroad; I don't need or want the extra weight, reduced ground clearance and hate the flopping around they do when things get rough - the KLR isn't an MX bike but it IS designed to go offroad and there are far better solutions for offroad use. ....where's Tom's patented "IS Stick?" LOL

Dave

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
My adjustable-height Happy Trails center stand has performed as one might hope!

I bought a Happy Trails lifting handle from an inmate; haven't installed it yet but see how the device has some usefulness.

Mine's Generation 1; I'll post an image:

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,198 Posts
I saw this bike lift at Cycle Gear a couple weeks ago. It’s aluminum, so it’s light. Easy to pick up and put on a shelf with one hand. Under $100, or $20 less on sale. It’s not as stable as the bigger lifts seen earlier in this thread, but good enough for basic maintenance on a dirt bike or KLR. It wouldn’t work for a heavy road bike. You step down on the lever to lift it about 4”. It’s adjustable for two different table heights. If I didn’t already have another lift, I’d buy this one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Personally, I'll never have a centerstand on any bike that is used offroad; I don't need or want the extra weight, reduced ground clearance and hate the flopping around they do when things get rough
I would agree in that I don't think I would ever want a center stand on my Yamaha WR500 or the WR250 or my RM125....... but for me the KLR is a different beast and I use it differently..... long trips a lot on highway. In that sense a center stand would be ideal for my needs.

On a side note I was playing with Harley Davidsons new Pan America and taking it on and off the center stand and it is super easy and very impressive. It doesn't look like it would flop around at all off road.... But of course it may not spend a lot of time off road either. That bike is really having me change my tune.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I would agree in that I don't think I would ever want a center stand on my Yamaha WR500 or the WR250 or my RM125....... but for me the KLR is a different beast and I use it differently..... long trips a lot on highway. In that sense a center stand would be ideal for my needs.

On a side note I was playing with Harley Davidsons new Pan America and taking it on and off the center stand and it is super easy and very impressive. It doesn't look like it would flop around at all off road.... But of course it may not spend a lot of time off road either. That bike is really having me change my tune.

Yep, usage makes all the difference; my KLR's spend a fair amount of time off pavement and on single track.......OTOH, if they didn't, I'd have kept my Versys.

Dave

21 - 32 of 32 Posts