Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a center stand for my 05 from who I thought was a reputable dealer. I have been thinking about one for a while and when the dealer had an email sale recently I bought one. I finally got around to installing it last week. I am less than impressed at this point. It came with no instructions but seemed straight forward enough. Use the 4 included longer bolts to install behind foot peg mounts. It seems kind of flimsy when down and supporting the bike and the stand seems to be loose and floppy underneath when in the up position. It easily bounces up and down when I think it should be tucked up tight under the bike. How far will it fall while riding rough terrain? It also appears to be very close to the chain in the up position. When you sit on the bike the chain slack is taken up and pulls away from the foot of the stand but what happens when you are riding and through suspension cycle the chain slackens up? Is it going to hit the chain? Unfortunately it is 20 below F at my house and there is 12 inches of snow on the ground. I wont be riding until next March at the earliest. So I cant go check these things out. I asked all these question of the dealer in an email and so fair have been blown off. So I'm asking hear. Anyone here with a center stand experience any of the same problems I've listed? Flimsy mount, loose and floppy in the up position and the chain rubbing the foot of the stand when you ride? Or am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
6,677 Posts
I don't have a center stand on my bike. Haven't ridden a dirt road, much less a rocky road with a KLR650 equipped with a center stand.
So I am actually almost 'Zero' help.

But I do like to help get the conversation started, when I can.

Can you or a friend post pics of your stand? Maybe another member may recognize the brand. Your possible issues are part of the reason that I have so far declined to install one on my personal bike. Shame on the seller and/or the manufacturer for not including some information! :(

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I have a centre stand and have none of those issues. Does your stand have any springs?? Mine has a spring on each side, tucks in nice and never had any floppiness. I think it was one of the first things I put on the KLR and I haven't looked at it again except for spraying a bit of chain lube on it now and then.

Any indication of a manufacturer?? As PD mentioned a picture would help a lot.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Don't be afraid to say who the dealer is and what brand of stand. Especially since the dealer is blowing you off. Forums like this can help apply pressure to unscrupulous sellers. I would like to know who it is so I don't buy anything off them.
Tell the dealer you are sending it back because you are not satisfied. A poorly constructed center stand is dangerous. It could come down in the middle of a turn causing loss of controll and a crash.
Regards....just jeff

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try to get some pictures of it. I have been doing a little research to try and figure out what brand it is. Happy trails and Moose it is not. It arrived in a box inside a heavy plastic bag with a smaller plastic bag with the hardware and the add on feet to make it taller if you need to. No markings or brand that I could see. I tried to look on the dealers web site I bought it from but for some reason it is down and just comes up with a white screen. I hesitate to name them just yet. They are a long standing KLR and DR dealer and I have never read anything bad about them before, in fact the opposite and I have dealt with them before and had only good service. I did email them a week and a half ago and haven't heard back which I kind of expect from an upstanding business but I need to try a little harder with them before I start bad mouthing them. I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point.

It has 2 springs. One on each side but they don't hold it up tight. It bounces up and down with just a little pressure from my finger. In fact I can push it up tight to the bottom of the bike but when I let go it drops a little. The foot on the chain side also is really close if not touching the chain at times unless your sitting on the bike. Unload the suspension over a bump while your riding and I am sure there will be contact.

I agree with Jeff and if I cant figure out how to make this fit better then its coming off.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Sounds like the springs are not correct. Is this an adjustable height stand?? If so don't know how that would compare to mine as it is not adjustable. My bike on the stand isn't as solid as my Goldwing on a center stand. I don't think the KLR's prime balance point is at the location theses stands have to sit. But it does the job for an oil change, wheel removal or chain lube just fine.

Best stand I have seen is on my brother's bike. Sold by Dual Star. Don't know if they are around any longer. Haven't heard that name for awhile.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I bought the happy trails and am OK with it. My only issues is that if I have the center stand down and the kick stand up I cannot get the center stand back up without putting it down first then putting the kick stand down then the center stand back up.

Yeah, something like that. Really sucks when you are on the bike! Just have to watch the order I do things is all .

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I think you are being much too timid about mentioning the name of the seller. You bought something that you are not happy with and can't get any response from the seller in over a week and a half. It is not unethical to mention the name of a seller you are unhappy with. Maybe others have had the same problem. It is hard to help with no information.

If we know who the seller is, we might be able to see something on his site to help answer your questions.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I bought the happy trails and am OK with it. My only issues is that if I have the center stand down and the kick stand up I cannot get the center stand back up without putting it down first then putting the kick stand down then the center stand back up.

Yeah, something like that. Really sucks when you are on the bike! Just have to watch the order I do things is all .
Just a caution; the Happy Trails adjustable-height center stand is NOT a, "ride off," stand, according to their accompanying instructions. That is, the stand is not designed to accommodate the weight of both the bike and the rider.

I've taken this advice to mean: Take the bike off the center stand before mounting; then put the side stand up and ride away.

Your comment about the sequence of stand deployment (first, side stand; next, center stand) remains critical. Stand doesn't compromise ground clearance excessively in my riding environment and style; scrapes the legs slightly on the pavement sometimes when leaned hard over; needs kicking fully upward now and then.

I rate the Happy Trails center stand a keeper; serviceable and supported by excellent customer service.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ain't sure that one's a ride-off model, either. Might call Happy Trails customer service and ask 'em.
I guess I'm not sure why you ask. I don't really "ride off" just push off in the garage or gas station.

i did read this though

Notes: The side stand and center stand must be deployed in a certain order to avoid interference. When dismounting, set the side stand first ... next deploy the center stand. Reverse this order when preparing to ride.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
My center stand operation is as described above. Being an aftermarket product thast's how it will be. If Kawasaki was designing them with both stands the side stand would probably be more forward.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I emailed the vender again the other day and he responded today. It looks like he might not have received my first email. I'm glad I held off bad mouthing them. The vender is Bob at TPI. He responded with some suggestions to tighten up the springs. He says he has never heard any of the complaints I had. I ended up bending the attachment clips that go between the spring and the stand on the down side. It stretched the spring another 1/4 inch or so and that was enough to help snap the stand up into place and hold it there. I still have the problem with the foot rubbing the chain when it is slack but I'm going to revisit that after I make sure the chain is properly adjusted. KLRBob at TPI was polite and helpful and has restored my slightly slipping faith in TPI.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
What does TPI stand for? I really don't understand acronyms. In this day and age you get a million hits when you Google one.
As to the foot hitting the chain you can try loosening the mounting bolts and pulling on it in the direction which will increase the clearance while retightening the bolts. Sometimes there is some play in bolts and holes allowing alignment adjustments.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Just my experience: TPI has provided excellent customer service, not just to me, but to my riding partner (65,000 miles on his '08 KLR650). TPI stands behind its merchandise.

Can't comment on their center stand (I have a Happy Trails adjustable-height model), but . . . as to chain interference, I'd check to see it was DYNAMIC, as in, present when a bike laden with rider was in motion. If so, maybe some chain tension adjustment (as mentioned previously) will eliminate the interference, or . . . one might call upon Mr. Dremel Moto Tool for some corrective surgery.

Regardless, I expect Bob of TPI to handle the situation responsibly.

And, justjeff, "TPI" stands for, TPI, AFAIK. That's the name of the motorcycle parts and accessories company; accessible by Googling, "TPI motorcycle." Or, you could go to (I think this is the URL): http://www.klrparts.com

EDIT: Just tried the URL; apparently the TPI website is sick (their "normal" URL didn't work, either). Maybe they'll be "up," after a decent interval.

That said, TPI has, to me, one of the worst commercial websites I've ever experienced; VERY awkward navigation; difficult to find the exact part or accessory of interest, even when the merchandise is well known. But, after the product of interest is found, customer service is excellent.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like there site is down again. I think that it might be why they didn't get my first email. It was down all of last week but was up for a time this past week end. I was able to get on and it is all new. Must be having some bugs with the new site because it is back to a white screen. tpimotorcycleparts.com. Bad timing for them. I would have a serious talk with my web designer. Give them a try when they work there bugs out. A lot of good stuff at decent prices. As for what TPI stands for? You got me. They are located in Tennessee so maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Looks like the TPI website (such as it is), is back up!

Some pretty good deals, as in, worthwhile merchandise at fair prices, if one can sift through the chaos and confusion to find them.

The 5-1/4" rectangular mirrors and dampers work rather well, if anyone actually wants to see what's behind him . . .

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Thanks for the link Damoclese.
Spent a few minutes looking at the site. Looks like a smaller local outfit tying to make a living. Nothing wrong with that. Though the site isn't working properly, the pricing seems ok on some items I looked at. Hope he does ok. I would try them if it was a Canadian company but as right now the 30% exchange and tax + shipping make it impractical. Still want to know what tpi stands for!!:)
Regards....justjeff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts