Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does or has anyone used a center stand. Just looking at it, it looks like a replacement for the kickstand. I was just curious of what ppl thought of them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I added one this year (it was a Christmas present from my DW). I like it, makes working on the bike much easier. I have had it scrape on sharp turns but not hard enough to cause any problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Center stand.

I added the new style Twisted Throttle center stand this past summer. I wanted one with the foot assist, so I waited until theirs came out. If you ride dirt and or single track or real rough terrain, it will hit on some things. I like it and use it a lot. It is easy to set the bike up on the stand with the foot assist. I have no regrets. Get one. You won't be disappointed. :thumb:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had a centerstand on my 2008 KLR which was fine for working on the bike, but kind of a hassle to actually use. A little difficult to raise the bike up on the centerstand. I am using a track stand for my 2012 KLR. Works fine at home, but not much help on the road.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Does or has anyone used a center stand. Just looking at it, it looks like a replacement for the kickstand. I was just curious of what ppl thought of them.
Not a REPLACEMENT for the sidestand, at least Happy Trails model-wise, they must be used in conjunction with each other: First, deploy sidestand; second, put bike up on center stand. Leaving, roll off center stand (do NOT ride off; ain't a ride-off stand), then fold sidestand.

HT's product has the advantage of ADJUSTABLE height, accommodating various links and tire sizes.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
I wouldn't be without a center stand and in my opinion Dual Star has/had the best one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 70 yr old and I find it a struggle to get the bike up(it's not foot asist) so I am going to remove mine off my '95 as I have a bike lift and don't want to hurt my back

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
I am 70 yr old and I find it a struggle to get the bike up(it's not foot asist) so I am going to remove mine off my '95 as I have a bike lift and don't want to hurt my back
I've seen those center stands without the foot assist and my immediate thought was - how the heck do you use that!!

My own stand has a foot assist and works great. My brother has a Dual Star stand that is very nice.

When the stand is down the foot assist actually is a third contact point. Mkes it very stable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2003 two-wheeler has a centerstand and I find it very convenient for maintenance. I never use it for normal parking, always use the side stand for that. I do not have a centerstand on my 2001 with the sidecar. I do carry a scissors jack for that bike to accomplish the same task when required.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like for the most part it is a good add on. I appreciate the feedback fellas. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you ever raise or lower the bike you will be happy if you bought the adjustable one, it also comes with the foot assist and you can set it such that it does not take much to pull it up. You dont need the bike three foot up in the air just stable with one wheel off the ground for maintenance.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I have the Happy-Trail center stand with assist lever. Very handy for chain/tire maintenance. Never had an issue with it being in the way either on or off road. The assist lever pretty much insures you won't bust a nut trying to get a loaded bike up on the stand!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you ever raise or lower the bike you will be happy if you bought the adjustable one, it also comes with the foot assist and you can set it such that it does not take much to pull it up. You dont need the bike three foot up in the air just stable with one wheel off the ground for maintenance.
That's good to know. The previous owner has lowered this bike. However, I seem to have the same problem of vertically challenged legs. So, I won't be raising it back.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Which brand of center stand & for which years of KLR?

I've seen those center stands without the foot assist and my immediate thought was - how the heck do you use that!!

My own stand has a foot assist and works great. My brother has a Dual Star stand that is very nice.

When the stand is down the foot assist actually is a third contact point. Mkes it very stable.

What brand of center stand is in this photo?
And what years of KLR's does it fit? 1992 to 2007 or 2008 and up?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Time to threadjack. I would like to nominate pismocycleguy for the award for Most Attention-Grabbing Avatar.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Photo Shoot

Time to threadjack. I would like to nominate pismocycleguy for the award for Most Attention-Grabbing Avatar.
Planalp,
Thanks, but you should have seen the attention the "girls" attracted while we were doing our Pacific Ocean photo shoot?:animal0009:
But that is another story!:t1202:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Center stand substitute

I think that I am going to use a center stand substitute instead of purchasing and installing a center stand on my bike.
One like in the attached photo. Light weight, very portable, and can be used on a riding partner's bike.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Planalp,
Thanks, but you should have seen the attention the "girls" attracted while we were doing our Pacific Ocean photo shoot?:animal0009:
But that is another story!:t1202:

You make a comment like that and then go back to talking about center stands!!??

What a tease.

Start a new thread with "the other story".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think that I am going to use a center stand substitute instead of purchasing and installing a center stand on my bike.
One like in the attached photo. Light weight, very portable, and can be used on a riding partner's bike.
Have you seen them in action? Are they very stable?

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
That looks like an Eagle Mike Quick Jack that's been painted red which, by the way, is an idea I'm going to copy.

I use one. You can get either the front or rear wheel off the ground with it, which I guess is about the only use for any kind of center stand or prop-type stand.

You don't want to do any heavy wrenching with the bike in the air, but you can easily get the rear or front wheel off to fix a flat. Just remember to break torque on stuff like axle nuts, etc. before you prop the bike up and re-torque everything once it's sitting back on the ground.

As you noted, if you're riding with other people, you can also use it on their bikes as well as your own. Light and takes up very little space.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts