Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, but didn’t find much here on ceramic coating headers for the KLR. Just trying to figure out why as I’ve coated headers in the past with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Most KLR owners are quite cost conscious.

Very Pretty Gen 2 headers with a Pretty Heat Shield can be had very economically. And they flow very well.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get that, and have no issue with it, but usually a good ceramic coating prevents rust, is easier to clean, and really keeps the heat flowing out the pipe so it even cools better.

Just kind if surprised considering some of the muddy pictures I’ve seen or read about mud cooking on the pipes.

I’m not suggesting people just replace a perfectly good header or muffler but when it comes time to replace it ... why not? Just cost? If so, okay I can understand it.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
What Paul said......replace your ugly, two pce, clamshell Gen1 header with a nice Gen2 header which is a one pce tube and looks great. It's hard to convince most KLR owners to do upgrades that make huge improvements so it's no surprise that something that makes no functional difference doesn't have any uptake in the KLR community. Even I wouldn't bother and I'm not your typical frugal KLR owner.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I get that, and have no issue with it, but usually a good ceramic coating prevents rust, is easier to clean, and really keeps the heat flowing out the pipe so it even cools better.

Just kind if surprised considering some of the muddy pictures I’ve seen or read about mud cooking on the pipes.

I’m not suggesting people just replace a perfectly good header or muffler but when it comes time to replace it ... why not? Just cost? If so, okay I can understand it.

Then . . . ceramic headers are a MUST for your build, ILove2!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then . . . ceramic headers are a MUST for your build, ILove2!

It could happen. It’s a Gen2 and I am going to replace the exhaust system as part of my build. Just not right now.

A lot will depend on the header as I prefer an inner & outer coating to keep the heat manageable and provide a rust free environment. But if the header/muffler combination I choose can’t accept an inner coating - sometimes there are baffles or other interior components - then I doubt I’d do it as they just rust from the inside.

You might laugh, but ceramic coatings have kept me from being burnt more than once. So it’s no joke to me. I have enough issues that I don’t need to add more to them. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts