Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I believe I have ever used a o-ring chain before this bike.
On my flat-trackers and street bikes I used to just buy cheap Diamond chains and change them often.

This o-ring chain I got from a dealer, don't remember brand but it was not cheap (price), hope it is a good quality.

Every time I go to check and lube it (cold) it feels all bound up, not free moving at all, when the chain gets hot it feels better.
Adjustments right, haven't needed to adjust for about 900 miles (since my last adjustment) and still good.

Is this normal for a o-ring chain?

I use Liquid Wrench "chain and cable lube", thats all I can get here. After seeing someone mention it on this forum I ordered "chain wax" from Amazon.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I haven't really noticed any binding with a o=ring chain. Did you change the sprockets at the same time you changed the chain??

I have used Chain Wax in the past but didn't like it. Makes for a real gummy mess to try and clean off. Maxima also makes a product called Chain Guard which I preferred over the chain wax. When I finally settled on an aerosol chain lube product I used the BelRay Super Clean.

Now I use WD 40 which you can get just about anywhere.

I think you'll find this article interesting:

http://watt-man.com/uploads/WD40experiment.pdf

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Plus 1 on the WD 40. Easy to use. You don't have to clean it off. Available everywhere.

Obviously the o-rings have to contact and seal between the chain links to keep the lubricant in and the dirt out of the bushings. This does cause a very slight drag, but the chains out last non o-ring chains two or three times.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
klr4evr/GoMotor
No sprockets, they looked good, no sharp teeth. Bought the chain when I first got the bike and didn't know if I was going to change sprocket size so I will change them next chain.
WD sounds like the way to go but I am going to try the wax, it's on the way. I figure it's only hard to clean if you clean your bike... lol.
I will keep a open mind between WD and Wax.

Thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts