Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
What is the benefit to using an o-ring type chain versus a standard type?
Both o-ring and x-ring chains are permanently lubricated. Standard chains require lubrication. O-ring chains should be cleaned and protected from corrosion, but do not need lubrication.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the x-ring chains need to be cleaned and cared for the same as the o-ring chain?

How often should a normal chain be lubricated? Does the normal chain need to be protected from corrosion the same as the o-ring chain?

In what way does one go about protecting the chain from corrosion? I ask this because my history in aircraft maintenance might cause me to take it a little overboard.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Do the x-ring chains need to be cleaned and cared for the same as the o-ring chain?

How often should a normal chain be lubricated? Does the normal chain need to be protected from corrosion the same as the o-ring chain?

In what way does one go about protecting the chain from corrosion? I ask this because my history in aircraft maintenance might cause me to take it a little overboard.
I don't think there is an overboard. I put 25K miles on my stock chain. Replaced it with an X-ring recently. Every Sunday, my daughter and I check the oil, air pressure and clean the chain. I usually clean with wd40 and no lube. That's what I did with the stocker and it looked pretty damn good when we had to dremel it off. ;) Routine takes maybe five minutes if we get to chatting.

My thinking? Keep it clean as possible. Lube attracts grit. Get a grunge brush or the like and do it once a week. It ain't going to be too clean, and despite the fact that someone is going to say, "don't use wd 40", that is all I used for many, many miles on my stocker and it got the job done. And no rust.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks lockjaw. I am glad you told me about WD cause I was about to use a metal-on-metal CPC that we used to use back in the Army for corrosion control and prevention on the airframes! Probably a bit of overkill, lol.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Awesome, thanks lockjaw. I am glad you told me about WD cause I was about to use a metal-on-metal CPC that we used to use back in the Army for corrosion control and prevention on the airframes! Probably a bit of overkill, lol.
Sure thing, brother. The KLR likes simple things. :)

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I replaced my stock chain this spring at 15,000 miles and it didn't
even need replacing but with new sprockets did the whole driveset.

The shoppe muffed up and gave me the stainless steel roller chain instead of the standard Tsubaki o-ring. The roller chains are low resistance for high speeds (rocket bikes). I had ground off and punched a pin
out before noticing there were no o-rings. The dealership told me
they would replace it since it was their mess up but also would be fine with the roller chain,
even offroading. They were right so far three thousand miles later.
I shoot it with WD-40 also and the crud rinses right out. Ride a few miles, wipe off the rim and forget about it for another few hundred miles.
That's just me.
I read here about the WD-40 test and tried it. That stuff is all you need.

Ride fun and safe,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts