Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Never seen one specifically made for it other than OEM.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Is there any place I can get a metal chain guard for an '09 650 KLR? Thanks.

The chain guard doesn't really do anything. Neither does the white plastic guard on the bottom of the swing arm. Took both off mine years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Not really. Most lube is flung off when the chain goes around corners, and the guard doesn't go over the end of the swingarm.

I've never used enough chain lube for it to fling, anyway. It's an O-ring chain, and the lube's already sealed on the inside. My original chain and sprockets were still in fair shape when I replaced them at 20K miles. Enough lube to keep everything from rusting, and a little extra for between the chain and sprocket is all that's needed. I use Chain Wax.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My chainguard was destroyed by a new tyre (Mitas E-07) replaced by the dealer and never checked the clearing distance

Is it really necessary to have a guard on the bike?

Pro's and con's ?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
My chainguard was destroyed by a new tyre (Mitas E-07) replaced by the dealer and never checked the clearing distance

Pro's and con's ?
Not necessary. Read ^^^^ :)

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Depends.

Does your girlfriend ride double, side-saddle, wearing a sari skirt?

:)

--------------------------

No kidding; I'm NOT making this up; Royal Enfield offers as an optional accessory a sari guard for the rear wheel, for the purpose to which I previously alluded.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Long story, short

After much discussion, dealer will replace chain guard

I will fit it and take responsibility from here on on it

From e-mail: "I would also like to check the shock linkage/ swing arm bearings and the rear wheel alignment"

Hallo, should that not be checked when bike was serviced?

Dealers makes me crazy, and the prices they charge for services, makes me mad

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
From e-mail: "I would also like to check the shock linkage/ swing arm bearings and the rear wheel alignment"

Hallo, should that not be checked when bike was serviced?
Rear wheel alignment ordinarily remains "rider-echelon" maintenance, IMHO. I'd expect instructions for this examination and adjustment exist in the Owner's Manual; if not, the witness and index marks about the rear axle and swing arm should be intuitive and more-or-less self-explanatory.

Haven't used one, but . . . Cycle Gear (here in the "States") sells a clever sprocket-and-chain alignment tool, consisting, I think, of a bracket fastened to the rear chain sprocket, and a forward-pointing wire rod; object of the game: Adjust the rear axle 'til the rod parallels the chain run.

The shock linkage and swing arm bearings generally enjoy a long service life without inspection/adjustment/maintenance. Examination may be prudent, but--not an item of routine service, IMHO.

First I heard of a "tyre" trashing a chain guard; regardless, glad your dealer is warrantying the part.

Dealer service rates? $ 100 US per shop hour, hereabouts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts