Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Friend said he changed the chain on his Suzuki dual sport to a belt drive. Makes for a much smoother ride, he says. Ever heard of doing this with a KLR ?

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I would like to see some more info on that Suzuki. I'm sure it can be done but the bigger question would be why.

Biggest issue I see is having to remove the swingarm pivot to change the belt. Haven't seen any belts with a masterlink.

Another is sprocket/pulley size. Pulley is wider and would be larger in diameter. You would need a wider swing arm.

What about suspension? A chain can run with slack to allow for suspension movement. A belt can't. How does Harley get around that - very little suspension movement. May be okay on a road bike but a dual sport ........

I suppose anything can be done. It's not something I would consider as the cost versus benefits aren't there. Heck with the wind noise and progressive hearing loss my KLR is as quiet as my Goldwing.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It could be done if the bike's swing arm pivot was in line with the center of the engine sprocket. That way there's no change of the engine to wheel sprocket radius as the wheel move through it's range of motion.

Some dirt bikes are designed that way. Unfortunately KLR650s are not.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'm fine with the chain for the reasons listed.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Dad used belt drive to get ME moving, LOL,
but chains are for offroading. LOL

On my Dyna, the pulley and swingarm pivot were very close to each other.
The manual only called for 1/2 to 5/8" deflection if I remember right.
Also the swingarm (as mentioned) had very little travel.

Chains offer less drag on the drivetrain too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'll stick with chain thank you very much. The only other option I would consider would be a shaftie but then the bike will be just too big to handle decently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts