Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speedo cable seems to be firmly screwed into the housing at the wheel. Was working perfectly fine for over 100 miles. Just went out. Is this happening a lot?

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
From my "Top New KLR Owner Mistakes to Avoid" list, I give you;

- 3) Speedo drive: it is common for people to post problems with their speedo after they've had the front wheel off. If you don't make sure the drive slots in the hub are aligned with the speedo drive tangs you risk bending the drive tangs and worse, breaking the hub. Time consuming to repair, expensive to replace, easy to avoid!

also check where the cable connects to the speedo.

cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure I aligned those as it seemed the gears only aligned one way in there. I'm taking the wheel off again this evening to balance if my balance dealios get here.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
First, flatten the winged washer (if bent). Re-assemble with the wings in their slots, and . . . you've solved the problem, as DPelletier posts above!

Oh, yeah; just thought--for a sort of, "end-to-end" test of the speedometer and cable, you can chuck the cable center and run a drill (REVERSE, counter-clockwise, left-hand direction) and observe speedometer needle and odometer dials move, with a functioning system above the cable coupling at the hub.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Broken Speedo cable :-( Have another on order. I noticed when I changed the tire that the cable was slighly bent and not fed through the guide on the forks. This is why I do my own work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's possible to have the inner 'grooves' aligned properly, but not get the hub installed properly in the forks. FYI. No idea if this would have anything to do with your cable failure.

Alan

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's possible to have the inner 'grooves' aligned properly, but not get the hub installed properly in the forks. FYI. No idea if this would have anything to do with your cable failure.

Alan
I think the previous owner or mechanic bent the cable somehow. You can see a bit of a kink. Anyway, I got my new cable and will install it this week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The first time I changed my front tire I didn't snug down the speedo cable enough and it came off and I pulled it along with me for about a mile when I noticed I didn't have any speed input. I put it back on and within a week the inside snapped because it got snagged. ended up having to replace it with a new one but 8,000 miles later its still operating perfectly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts