Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, brought my new 07 klr home today. WOndering how many here change their own oil.

1) What kind of oil do you recommend?
2) Where can you order it? My nearest dealer is quite a ways away and I would like to do it myself if possible.
3) Where do you order your oil filters from
4) How often do you change the oil?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
OK I can only answer this for myself so here goes.

I do all the work on my own bike, Kawasaki does nothing, I like knowing what has been done and that it was done right, at least as best as I can do it. I don't trust dealers. Most people don't.

1: What kind of oil? I have always used Pennzoil 10W-40 Motorcycle oil in everything I have had, and have never had any issues. If I am not able to get that, I get Kawasaki oil at the dealer.
I like the Hi Flo oil filters. We had an independant motorcycle shop in town till late last year, and I purchased 20 filters when they went out of business. These can be purchased here too: http://www.tpimotorcycleparts.com/
I change my oil every 3000 miles. Some are going to say that is way too many miles and some are going to say they change at the same time. The only way to know for sure if your oil change rate and mileage are safe is to send a sample of your oil off and have it analyzed. NAPA stores offer this service, at least around here they do.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use any name brand 10w40 motorcycle oil. Some auto parts stores have fram oil filters for the klr650 and I buy them 5 at a time and change oil between 2000 - 3000 miles although engineers have said oil tends to deteriorate around 6000 to 7000 miles (I saw that on a show about automotive oil). Oil is cheaper than engines, so change your fluids.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Oil is cheaper than engines, so change your fluids.
A man after my own heart.. :)

I change my own, and it only takes 15-20 minutes, and I usually inspect the bottom of the bike while I'm down there..
My personal oil choice is Rotella 15w-40 (or equivellant). I use Emgo filters that I buy from Bike Bandit for less than $2 each after my AMA discount, and I change every 2000-2500 miles..

And, just because I always mention it, just remember to remove the steel tube from the old filter and put it in the new filter before sticking it in the bike. Many of the steel tubes get tossed with the old filter, and then the filter gets bypassed..

Hodag, I'm actually going to be headed to Brokaw tomorrow, and if you needed assistance I could bounce up and give you a hand tomorrow night or Tuesday night. I'm headed home Wed morning..

I'll be in the paper mill in Brokaw on Tuesday, but should be out of there by 5-6pm.. I don't know if you have any miles on the new bike yet, and are ready to change the oil, but I thought I'd throw that out..:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tube that slides into the oil filter. I may be one of those noobs that tossed that with anoil change. Questions. What are the ramifications of that? Whenwill they be noticed? Howdo replace this part?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If the tube has been tossed, your oil filter will be bypassed and the oil not filtered. Go to the dealer or go to www.bikebandit.com and order one.

This is from KLR650 FAQ:
Do I need to keep this tube in the oil filter?
The metal tube in the center of the oil filter is a high-pressure bypass for cold oil. If you remove it, your oil will not get filtered. Occasionally, mechanics accidentally discard this tube with the filter. Make sure you have one. If you're changing your own oil, the tube only fits in the engine case one way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My oil

I run Castrol 10W30 in everything I own except my 2002 Dodge Dakota which calls for 5W30. I used to work with a guy who had an '88 KLR and he ran "everything" in his. I saw him put Locomotive lube oil (somewhere around 50 weight) in it to get him home one night and the KLR ran just fine. I'm not saying it's the best practice but, this engine seems to be capable of running just about any oil.

I use Castrol 10W30 and a Fram Extra Guard filter.

KLR's are almost indestructable, this bike kicks a$$! Mine is 19 years old!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
ok
here is another question.
how much damage have i caused by riding a few thousand miles with out that metal oil tube in the filter i change my oil ever 2500-3000 miles

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Well seeing how you got a 'few' thousand miles on it without the tube, its still going. All that is happening is that your oil is not being filtered correctly. Now, of course filtering is important, but look at how many old style bikes run on oil with NO filter. As long as you kept it changed, I doubt you have hurt a thing, but I would definately want to rectify that situation.
You may have a slight bit if premature wear from small metal particles but I doubt it will be destructive. Once you get the tube in and run a round with it correctly, pull your filter out...and then do a little surgery on it, getting the paper element out to where you can see it, and look for any metallic signs caught by the element.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Change oil every 2500 or sooner if riding a lot of dirt/mud. Use Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil available at Walmart or Myjers and replace Emgo oil filter, usualy get them in bulk from Iron Pony.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I really don't know, the dealer didn't seem to think nothing of it, and I have not lost any oil since, BUT, I break my stuff in hard, I don't do that factory style, keeping it under 4000 for x amount of miles. I ride it hard like I stole it, running the RPM's up and down all thru the range, letting the engine compression brake and then gunning it. That gets the rings seated better. This is my opinion, and that is not agreed upon by many others. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
The bikes are bound to use oil during break-in.. It's part of the system.. Some will, some won't..

At 400 miles, I'd just change it, and then again at 1000..

As far as running without a filter tube, I wouldn't worry about it in the least for a couple thousand miles. Change the oil and get your tube back in, and forget it..

Hell, my 2004 Honda 4 wheeler, my expensive John Deere riding mower, my Benelli 250 SuperSport, and a lot of other bikes and engined items don't have filters.. Just screens, and the KLR has a screen, too.. Changing oil more often is how these items work.

Just change the oil and don't worry about a couple thousand miles without filtering.. I'd put that in the same worry factor as if I ran a tire 1 psi low for 2000 miles.. Maybe even less..

·
Registered
3 Posts
All my bikes get Shell Rotella 15W-40 truck oil. Walmart has it, but they often don't put it with the car oil, so look around. It comes in a gallon-sized jug.

I use whatever KLR oil filters I can find cheaply on mailorder, and change the filter more often than the oil. (Cool feature of the KLR.) I change the filter every 1500 and the oil every 2000 to 2500, or whenever the clutch and shifting starts to feel funny, or every six months, whichever comes first. (I have several bikes and a toddler, so I don't always put miles on the KLR.)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Rotella in quarts is at OReillys and Napa auto parts. Gallons are cheaper at WM. That's what I run in the bikes and diesel truck and tractor.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts