Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need some input on this.

I just got a "YUASA sealed AGM" high performance battery shipped to me from BikeBandit. I THOUGHT it was a sealed ready to install battery but NOOOOO. It needs to be assembled and charged. It came with the Acid, so no worries there, but the charging instructions in LARGE letters are 1.2 amps for 5-10hrs. I have a multi-use battery charger/starter that has a 2.0/12v circuit. This is what I have been using on my standard battery, but appears to be too hot for the new one.

So Battery charger recomendations?

TW

·
Registered
143 Posts
Might as well pony up for a Battery Tender. Fully automatic and monitors & makes up the charge when your bike is parked. Overcharging an AGM will ruin it, or most other batteries for that matter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ham! said:
Might as well pony up for a Battery Tender. Fully automatic and monitors & makes up the charge when your bike is parked. Overcharging an AGM will ruin it, or most other batteries for that matter.
HI Ham,
Yeah, Looks like the Battery Tender Plus will fill the bill.
Interesting that Yuasa sells a SmartShot charger that doesn't match the specs. One online store says it's for the AGM battery too.

Thanks,
TW

·
Registered
650 Posts
if the 2.0 12v. means "2 amps"

it wont hurt the battery.

Getting it hot where it boils ie: "over charging" with to many amps, will do the damage.
if it's 2.0 amps... connect it for 30 mins. take off for an hour. Repeat.

myself.. I'd stick it in and just charge enough to get the bike started... and ride.
but, thats just me. :wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I meant 2.0Amp on the low setting. But it's still a bit high for the AGM, my thinking is if 2.0a was okay Yuasa wouldn't have made such a big deal by putting the 1.2 amp charging instructions right on top of the battery. and I don't feel like damaging this battery from the get go. My local cyclegear should have the Battery Tender Plus in stock and I get a mil discount. I don't use a charger that often though, but having the right stuff for maintaining my bike is good and I'll be able to help others out too.

TW

·
Registered
18 Posts
theotherbigjoe said:
if the 2.0 12v. means "2 amps"

it wont hurt the battery.

Getting it hot where it boils ie: "over charging" with to many amps, will do the damage.
if it's 2.0 amps... connect it for 30 mins. take off for an hour. Repeat.

myself.. I'd stick it in and just charge enough to get the bike started... and ride.
but, thats just me. :wink:
That is exactly what I did when got an AGM. Two amps for an hour, checked the voltage (via multi-meter), installed and went for a long ride.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, not that I doubted Joe.... just being cautious.
I really don't want to spend the money on another charger, so I'm going to do as you both suggest and give it a slow charge this weekend and then take it out for a good long ride.

TW

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bones said:
I need a new battery as mine will not hold a charge anymore. It was dead last week and I got it push started and home. Topped it off with distilled water and put it on the tender and this morning it was dead as dead. Time for a sealed unit, no more of this adding water BS :twisted: Going to call a local dealer to see if they have one I can pick up tonight.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/pc-34344-59-XTA14AHL-BS XTREME PERMASEAL HIGH PERFORMANCE AGM POWERSPORT BATTERY.aspx
Got it tonight, direct bolt in and no more spilled acid on the frame. I even cleaned and painted the frame area with a non-matching hammered gray paint 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts