Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new too me 2015 I bought it back in September. When i bought it many after market things were done, including a charging port. Today is the first day I have tried to use it. It works perfect with the key off, as soon as I turn the key on the port shuts off. Any ideas what circuit the previous owner hooked into. I am looking to run a garmin. Thank you.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
There's no circuit that is hot with the key off and dead with the key on. The only way I can think of to do that is with a 4-pin relay, using the normally-closed terminal. The relay goes to "Open circuit" when energized so that would shut the power to the port off. Seems like a very strange thing to do.

You need to dig into things. It should be powered straight from the hot side of the starter relay (same, electrically, as the positive terminal of the battery but a much better source). It should be fused at 7.5 amps.

Is this a USB port?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a cigarette lighter,mounted in the left side of the front faring. I am going to pull domestics off and chase the wires. I did see a trickle charger port hooked to battery.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
I will take a guess that the ground terminal of your "charging port" is connected to a lighting wire on the KLR. When the key turns on, the connection becomes + or hot from both ends. In other words, it Looses its Ground to the battery.

The ground terminal needs to go directly to a bare frame ground or a Black/Yellow harness ground wire.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
A cigarette lighter port is a bad idea for a GPS on a motorcycle. It will vibrate loose and the connection will be lost. The choke coil in the plug will shake until it breaks off of the circuit board, rendering the plug useless.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
This is what you need......

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree a klr upper and lower dash would be excellant. Telling my x i spend her child support would not go so well. Lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pd you must be correct, I pulled the seat and the power goes directly to battery. He must of used a bad ground. Guess I will have to pull front apart to find put.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
I have had a Powerlet on the KLR for a very long time and use it for battery maintenance, pump operation, and USB charging of Sena and i-phone/i-touch.

My BMW came with Powerlet (properly called "BMW connectors" because, well, BMW) but they were connected to the CANBUS and programmed to shut off five minutes after key-off. Useless as boobs on a boar. I installed an additional one that is wired through the PC-8 to the battery for the same purposes as on the KLR.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I have had a Powerlet on the KLR for a very long time and use it for battery maintenance, pump operation, and USB charging of Sena and i-phone/i-touch.
How do you connect accessories(e.g., compressor, etc.) to the Powerlet? Adapter (e.g., cigarette lighter sockket to Powerlet socket)? Custom-wired Powerlet jacks fitting Powerlet socket?

·
Registered
320 Posts
How do you connect accessories(e.g., compressor, etc.) to the Powerlet? Adapter (e.g., cigarette lighter sockket to Powerlet socket)? Custom-wired Powerlet jacks fitting Powerlet socket?
I bought a cigarette to powerlet adapter and also bought an adapter that has two USB ports and plugs into the powerlet. Given that most devices now also are available with the two-pin SAE connector (air compressors, battery maintainer, etc.), I will probably install a couple of SAE ports and USB and maybe one cigarette lighter port for old times sake. :smile2:

I draw the line though at a cassette player. :grin2:

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Anything that is going to be powered from the bike has a Powerlet plug on it. Stuff that is shared with the Subaru has a Powerlet plug on it, but that is connected to the whatever by an SAE connector. There is a corresponding pigtail with a cigarette plug for the Subaru, and it lives in the Subaru.

The USB is an adapter that plugs into the Powerlet socket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think the SAE is a good call. Cheap and easy. GS has both but the KLR can stand SAE.

Zoom AKA Johnny
04 R1150 GSA
88 KLR 650
Both salvage!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts