Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In keeping with the KLR tradition of frugality, I often shop at dollar stores. Today I went to a local Dollar Tree and found these aluminum water bottles. They are 750ml each and only a buck. I was thinking these are just like those Sigg fuel bottles and could be used to carry a little extra unleaded for my stove and bike should I run out. Anyone think these could NOT be used for this intended purpose? I sure as hell am not going to drink out of something made from Chinese metal. There are two types, the difference is the width of the opening. I got two with the wider mouth.

So without further ado, here is the pic:

Feedback is appreciated. :28:

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
I don't see why they wouldn't work as long as the seals on the lids will stand up to prolonged exposure to gasoline.

·
Registered
34 Posts
they should work man, drop the seals into a bowl of gas for a day and see if they get slimy or change shape. you could always make some cheap seals from gasket material or you can buy rubber O rings at Advanced or at Lowes. I think overall that's a great idea to have a little extra fuel in a compact tube like that.

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts
Sigg doesn't make fuel bottles any more; they haven't in quite a few years. They are all water bottles now. Pity.

Water bottles usually have a coating on the inside. If you got them for a buck, I would fill them with fuel and lay them on their side in the sun. After a half hour or so I'd shake them real good and see if the seals hold. Then I'd dump them out and see if the coating held up.

If they passed those tests I'd follow planalp and Pub Charlie's lead and soak the gaskets in fuel for a day or two and see if they hold up.

If they do, you may have a real find on your hands.

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I have a couple like that, but I carry extra oil in them. :(

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Mine DON'T seal well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not a bad idea but a couple of things that would concern me.
The seals have already been mentioned but isnt the cap plastic as well? and shouldnt they be vented to carry gas?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a bad idea but a couple of things that would concern me.
The seals have already been mentioned but isnt the cap plastic as well? and shouldnt they be vented to carry gas?

Cap is plastic.
These questions are why I posted this. I am no chemical engineer

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Cap is plastic.
These questions are why I posted this. I am no chemical engineer
Well, you're doing the exact same thing I'd do.. Experiment..:)

I've got a couple stainless "water" bottles I picked up at Menards (midwestern Home Depot type chain) and I'm thinking about performing the same test.. When on vacation or long trips, it wouldn't hurt to have some spare fuel for whatever it's needed for..

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
Good questions. Most gas cans these days are made of plastic, but I suppose it depends on what kind of plastic it is.

Never thought about venting. I'm guessing it would be best to fill it to the brim to avoid any trapped fumes? I don't know if those campstove fuel bottles have some kind of one-way vent in them or not. Anybody have one they can look at?

I'd just fill one up with gas and find the hottest, sunny place around and let the bottle sit out there for a couple of days and see if it leaks or blows up; maybe go out every once in awhile and shake it up real good?

That's what I'd do, but then again I've heard a lot of people refer to me as "stupid."

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Don't fill it.. Gasses can compress, liquids can't.. She'll blow, or at least leak.. I'd leave at least 1" or more space for the gasses to compress when you test it..

When heated, that liquid will expand, just like filling a gas tank on a bike and leaving it in the sun..

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have some of these as water bottles and often thought the same in regards to extra fuel containers. I'm not sure that I would want one of these sloshing around in my pack just for that loose threaded cap. It may hold now, but what if?

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
Don't fill it.. Gasses can compress, liquids can't.. She'll blow, or at least leak.. I'd leave at least 1" or more space for the gasses to compress when you test it..

When heated, that liquid will expand, just like filling a gas tank on a bike and leaving it in the sun..
Yes, makes sense. They say the fumes are the dangerous part of a gas tank, but not having room for the liquid to use the fumes/airspace as a "cushion" is asking for trouble. Thanks for noting that, Paper. You're right.

Was going to suggest maybe painting them a color to reflect some sunlight, but don't know if it would do any good, even if they're carried out in the open and not in a bag or something.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I bought the msr fuel bottles 33 oz from Amazon

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I always fill my mouth with as much gas as I can before I leave for a ride. Not much extra reserve, but you never know....

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I have some of those and they don't hold a seal on water. Wouldn't even consider putting fuel in it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Check the "Gas" cans in your garage... none are vented. Thats why they blowup like a balloon in the sun.
Thats true and thats why I always loosen the suction cap if I sit them in the sun.
Im not sure I would want an aluminum bottle blowing up like a balloon while it rides with me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts