Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before springing for a new seat, i thought I'd give the local auto trim shop a try. Guy there says he does all kinds of bike seats. Hes' gona shave off 1 inch of the hard foam, and replace it with two inches of soft foam. $50 charge. He says I'll love it. He's a ex-dirt biker turned cruiser.

I'll post results when it's done. My buttocks can't wait.

CW

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
If it's not too late, you might want to talk to him some more. Soft is sometimes worse. If I understand correctly what you mean. He should know that, though.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Harder is good if it is shaped right. It seems hard because it is too soft. Take my old 73 Honda. Really spongy foam. Seems really hard because it compresses to the pan, creates hot spots, etc. Think cowboys and how they like their saddles.

Someone back me up here???

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Too wide in the wrong places will hurt you, too.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
The stock KLR seat is an ass hatchet.

When I built my seat I went wider to give me bum more support, but narrowed it down in the mid-thigh area.

The foam I used is called re-bond. It is small waste chunks glued together and was the firmest stuff I could find. If I could have found something a bit firmer, I would have.

The resulting seat is quite comfortable and allows me to ride for a tank's worth of gas.

T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts