Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2014 and when I put the choke on the lever will not stay in on choke unless you hold it there. It springs back about half way. Thought I may have pinched it when I removed the tank a few month ago and figured I un-pinch it next time I removed the tank. Took tank off yesterday and found no pinch. Guess I need to remove the cable from carb and see if it the cable or the carb causing the problem. How does the cable come off the carb? Is that the next step? It's under warranty but I don't want the dealer touching it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is an adjustment knob on the middle of the choke cable. You will need to remove the tank then just follow the cable until you find it. Just adjust the knob until the lever rests in the proper position. The adjustment knob is just like the ones on the throttle cables. Hopefully this will fix your problem.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
The "choke" (starting enricher) cable attaches to the carburetor via a plastic "cap," with tapered threads . . . 12 mm hex cap, but good luck getting any kind of standard wrench, including a crow's foot, on it, in the cramped access space . . .

Be wary, the plastic cap is fragile (Stead Engineering sells a metal one).

Maybe you can adjust the tension in your cable to hold the "choke" partially on, maybe not. I replaced my OEM choke cable with a Drag Specialties "shorty" cable (made for Harleys); drilled a hole in the kickstand switch cover to mount the knob (a custom bracket would have been a better practice, but it works o.k.).

I shortened (cut down) the cable stem, threaded it, and mounted a replacement knob (stock knob was permanently affixed). Cable has tension adjustment.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
I've got a 2014 and when I put the choke on the lever will not stay in on choke unless you hold it there. It springs back about half way. Thought I may have pinched it when I removed the tank a few month ago and figured I un-pinch it next time I removed the tank. Took tank off yesterday and found no pinch. Guess I need to remove the cable from carb and see if it the cable or the carb causing the problem. How does the cable come off the carb? Is that the next step? It's under warranty but I don't want the dealer touching it again.
Sorry Guys,
But cable adjustment has Nothing to do with this Issue.

Toney,
Check to see if the Phillips screws holding the LH switch assembly together ON the handlebar are Tight.

There is a spring loaded 'Friction pad' in the front half of the assembly, which must be 'compressed' to hold the enrichener lever In Place.

Otherwise, it may take a 'Warranty' trip to the dealership, for switch case replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts