Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 KLR650

Here is the problem. Got the bike out this afternoon to go for a little ride. Turned the choke on and hit the start button. Started first crank as usual Everything is fine. The rpms go up as it warms up and then I usually hit it back down to half choke for a few seconds, when I did it started haveing a hard time when I put the choke all the way off it dies. It purrs when the choke is on but if you turn it off nothing. Just rode the bike a little over a week ago and everything was fine. Has been garaged until today when I got it out. What could be the problem???

I took the airfilter out and tried it, but same problem. Air fileter is clean
I moved the petcock back and forth from reserve to on and back and nothing.

Help please

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 07 had very similar if not the same issue. It turned out to be a cloged idle jet. Pretty easy fix (Maybe 45min to an hour or two). Take the tank off for easier acess to the carb. Once you have the carb or bowl off take the jet out and with an air hose and a tiny piece of metal brush thistle (wire brush) clean out the microscopic piece of dirt that you wont even be able to see. You should be able to hold the jet up to light and see through it to make sure it's clean. It doesn't take much to impede the little opening in the jet. I'm guessing that will fix the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any suggestions???

Ok, I think I have gotten some bad gas. I drained the gas and put in fresh good gas. The bike runs now. Idle is still ruff but will run without being on choke. Rode bike about 10 miles. When riding the bike runs great, but on the down stroke or gearing down I am having some backfireing. Put som Seafoam in the gas but may take awhile to run through. I am just tring the easy stuff before I start tearing into the carb. Kind of makes me nervouse.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

·
Registered
269 Posts
how did it turn out in the end?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts