Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mikuni Complete Starter Assembly for TMX35/38 Carburetor - Plunger TM38/57
I replaced my starter enricher cable with this plunger type and so far it is working. Was wondering if anyone had issues with it. I tried to include the picture but I am ignorant as to how. Anyway it is similiar to the KLX250 plunger , there is no pin on the end but is flat. Yes it is plastic but it was $10 and necessary to eliminate cable so I can install rox 2" risers. Some claim that no re-routing was needed but mine pulled out of the carb turning lock to lock. Again, thanks

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Unfamiliar with your Frankenbike part, I wonder:

Without a plunger pin, does the "choke" seal the fuel orifice adequately?

Is the "choke" configured to open the air passage as the OEM part does?

The stock "choke" (starting enricher) does two things when activated: 1) Opens fuel passage, and 2) Opens air passage. These two functions comprise a sort-of, "mini carburetor," introducing a fuel-rich mixture to the venturi. If your Frankenbike "choke" does all this, what? YOU worry? You've got it made. If the aftermarket part fails to perform either function adequately, you're either running an excessively fuel-rich mixture constantly, or failing to introduce a proper starting mixture.

I used the OEM starting enricher plunger with a Drag Specialties "shorty" cable, intended for Harley CV40 Keihin carbs. Works fine.

Also, BTW . . . installed 1-1/2" risers; adjusting handlebar brackets, re-routing of cables unnecessary.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have the Rox 2” on mine. I have the bars pivoted forward 20-30 degrees. IIRC, this position just barely allowed enough cable lengths. With no pivot forward, they were tight/pulling.
As they are they’re a bit too far forward for me when standing on the pegs but good riding street and highway.
I’ll be putting 90/10 tires on it soon with the cooler weather and getting back into fire road exploring. No doubt I’ll be making some bar adjustments so I’ll have to sort the cable issue out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts