Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how to rig up a cigarette lighter car adapter to the klr somewhere? i have a gps system, but on ling trips the batteries always run out on me. i hate carrying a stockpile of batteries in my backpack. any help would be appreciated. long live the klr!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Any auto parts store will have lighter sockets. I think I saw one with a handlebar clamp not too long ago at PepBoys.

There are two open power supply wires under the instruments. They're switched and fused, so just locate them, hook up and mount your socket.

The alternative I chose was to run in independent circuit directly from the battery (so it's constant on) with a little heavier gauge (12 I think) wire. I also wired out an SAE connector direct from the battery to hook up a trickle charger or air pump or ???. This connector is under the left side cover and easily acessible.

There's a number of posts on this if you search.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
For the switched wire, I used the city light leads behind the fairing. These are Brown/White - Black/Yellow leads.

Use bullet or snap connects for 14-16 gauge wire, using the males only to connect to these wires which are loose behind the fairing.

This will switch the relay on and off with the ignition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there a reason I cannot simply wire the positive wire of the power adapter to the positive terminal on the battery and the negative wire to the negative terminal (or to the frame)? I don't have the tools, the experience, or maybe even the patience to try to take everything off around the light to get to these two power supply wires under the instruments.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Is there a reason I cannot simply wire the positive wire of the power adapter to the positive terminal on the battery and the negative wire to the negative terminal (or to the frame)? I don't have the tools, the experience, or maybe even the patience to try to take everything off around the light to get to these two power supply wires under the instruments.
Yes you can do that. Just make sure you put a fuse on the positive wire.

·
Registered
357 Posts
And....you can rest assure that anything you plug into your "cigarette lighter" adapter....will eventually vibrate loose if you use that adapter to adapt something while riding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rainier Tom - I appreciate your comment - I am open for suggestions - please remember I don't have the expertise nor any special tools other than straight long screw drivers and cresent wrenches to take everything apart.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Been there done that. i would suggest that you use a dedicated plug/connector or the beemer plug as a regular cig socket will loose contact as you are riding a thumper. My gps used to lose connection while riding until I hard wired it. You can use the accessory plug on the right of the headlight to simplify wiring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i saw a cigarette lighter adapter (online somewhere) for the battery tender trickle charger leads that plug into your battery. (plugs right into the battery tender leads)

when i was at the kawasaki shop they said i shouldn't do this to run a gps, heated grips, etc as it's only to plug in the charger. is this accurate? or does this product work fine and is it okay to plug into the battery tender leads to run accessories?

thanks!

ben

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've done that with another bike- hooked up the battery tender to things like a cigarette lighter adapter and then ran a ham radio.

Maybe the shop guys are warning you that such a connection is always "on" so it can drain your battery when the bike is off, which is true. Some people buy an extra fuseblock, wire it to the battery, and put in a relay so anything attached to it is not "on" when the bike is parked.

but I haven't seen anything that says "don't use the battery-tender adapter" just because its a bad thing to do.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
i saw a cigarette lighter adapter (online somewhere) for the battery tender trickle charger leads that plug into your battery. (plugs right into the battery tender leads)

when i was at the kawasaki shop they said i shouldn't do this to run a gps, heated grips, etc as it's only to plug in the charger. is this accurate? or does this product work fine and is it okay to plug into the battery tender leads to run accessories?

thanks!

ben
Can you put up a link or picture? I think I get what you're talking about, but not sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am glad I read this post, I was going to get the Auto Zone power plug adapter tomorrow but now I will look for the BMW Powerlet Adapter.

Steve E........

·
Registered
141 Posts
It would be nice if someone would post a Diagram showing how to hook up all the electrical goodies on the KLR. Also the city light leads everyone talks about. Are they available on the Gen 2 Bikes?

·
Administrator
8,364 Posts
Light Train -

The Gen2 bikes don't have a city lights lead.

Let me see what I can do about a diagram for electrical hook-ups.

T

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Caveat: Quick-and-dirty post; I've been out "tagging" (i.e., finding and re-hiding tokens for a silly sort of motorcyclists' scavenger-hunt game) all night . . .

I think Post # 19 on this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612264&page=2 has RoberttX's excellent latter-day KLR wiring diagram visible . . .

If inaccessible, Google "2008 KLR650 Wiring Diagram," one must be somewhat conversant with Google to play the silly game I mentioned!

Get back to me if you can't access the '08-and-up schematic.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wired mine to the tender.

Someone may have already covered this (since I think I got the idea from someone on this forum) but I went to my battery tender. I found a connecter at the auto parts store, added it to the wires going to my outlet/cig plug. I keep it plugged into the tender which goes to the battery. Can easily pull the wires to disconnect and connect the charger/tender when needed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts