Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there. I was wondering if anybody had any tips on where to find a cigarette lighter to wire into my KLR. I would like to hook up a gps to my bike. Plus also be able to charge cell phones and any other device that needs power. My KLR in an 07.

Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
You can get power source outlets at Walmart, Any auto parts store. There are two wires up in behind the fairing that are used for city lights in Europe that have power. You can tie into these instead of running a wire all the way back to your battery.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I remember seeing an outlet, some time ago, at PepBoys that was on a handlebar clamp.

The available wires under the fairing (mine are on the right side) are switched and fairly light gauge. You might want to run some heavier ones directly from the battery, with an inline fuse, so they can carry a bit more juice and be constant on. That way you can use a trickle charger without having to pull the seat.

What I did was two hot circuits -- one to the fairing (which is just capped off at the moment) and another to the side of the bike, just under the side cover with an SAE plug (be SURE the positive runs to the protected side) for a trickle charger, compressor or whatever.

BTW - an SAE connector is the flat two wire plug that has both the male and female on the same plug. Readily available at any parts store (and probably WalMart) for a couple of bucks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You can run a cig lighter socket for accessories but hardwire the GPS with a plug because the constant vibration of the big thumper will eventually work the GPS plug out and you will lose power to the gps and will lose your directions while driving.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wired a power port to the city lights, and Have had no problems, but like has been mentioned, it is switched so when you turn the key off your GPS may switch off. Mine gives me a 30 second warning before powering down, but some may switch over to battery power when they lose aux power. This would be ok, just don't forget to turn it off when you stop.

I have had no problems with my plug coming loose, and I like that it powers off when I turn the key off so it doesn't run down the GPS batteries when I stop for lunch, or for whatever reason I stop. I may rethink this if it ever starts vibrating loose, but until then...

I would suggest getting an adapter with some sort of cover though, as mine is now quite rusty and corroded on the inside and will be getting replaced soon with one that has a cover.

·
0 Posts
My 07 came with one. The PO had wired it into the spare wires behind the headlight. I think they power the running light on Euro models.

I took it off and still have it. You can have it for postage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
does the 08 have the city light wires. i want a 12v plug for an air compressor, gps, and any other toy i might have to plug in while i'm out. i know the older klr's have them. can't find them on the 08.

·
Registered
32 Posts
12v plug

i never found the wires in the front but i took the lower license plate bracket off and mounted the plate to the rear fender. if you remove the liense plate light you can use those wires to power a 12v plug. the only problem i ran into was where to mount the plug. you can pull those wires out pretty far to relocate it wherever you want. i have a friend who is a cop and he said the brake light is ok for a license plate light. a lot of newer bikes don't even come with them from the factory. i'll try to get a picture up one of these days

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
The best way would be to run a seperate wire from the battery with an inline fuse. Any 12 volt cig lighter will work, but I used one with a cover to keep the rain out when not in use.

·
Registered
32 Posts
here is how i put my plug in.

i ran the power from the license plate light. my leg sometimes rubs the outlet but it's not a problem at all. hope this can give a visual to some of you guys looking for some help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts