Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Don't go crazy looking for a specialty product. If you want to make use of a wax you can use a can of pledge. Of course make sure everything is very dry before applying any wax. If you're cleaning the windshield I'd stick with plexus.
Oh, BTW.... it probably won't take too long before you give up on cleaning and see a mildly dirty bike as completely natural.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
633 Posts
Keeping it garaged and out of the sun is the best way to protect the plastic.

Reactions: Ghostmonkey

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's not a wax but I've been having really good luck doing quickie cleanups on the front end with "sprayaway" foaming glass cleaner. That stuff is quick easy cheap and my favorite cleaner for Windows everywhere.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
853 Posts
For plastics I like Plexis but any quick detailer auto spray works good too. The only time I used it was before selling a bike. I've found most of the protective sprays actually attract more dust and dirt. I did like spraying pledge under the front and rear fenders if I knew I'd be riding in mud to help release the bike while cleaning the mud after a good mudder ride.

·
Administrator
4,371 Posts
My favourite product is something called 210. I use this regularly and my red, not pink, 2004 speaks for its effectiveness.

·
Premium Member
2018 KLR650
326 Posts
Some products, like carnauba can be damaging to some types of plastic. Does anyone know what KLR fairings are made off?

·
Administrator
4,371 Posts
Keeping it garaged and out of the sun is the best way to protect the plastic.
True, but sometimes I feel the urge to ride it.;)

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
633 Posts
True, but sometimes I feel the urge to ride it.;)
But then your plastics fade, and who wants that. You need to garage it 24/7. No riding allowed :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is literally the first vehicle I have ever bought new. I tend to keep things for years. I started to buy used, but Lord these boys asking 500 below retail for a 6 year old bike kinda made my mind up for me. Just want to keep her like this at long as I can.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Many MANY years ago I bought one gallon of this product called ...and am still using from the original gallon (just pour into spray applicator bottle)....I use it on my bikes, car / truck.. and even non automotive or MC stuff..it LOOKS like Armor All to me..but lasts longer...and a little goes a long way...you can even dillute with water to control the amount of application..its pretty much spray and wipe..
Liquid Product Fluid Personal care Bottle

NEVER APPLY THIS OR ARMOR ALL OR ANYTHING TO YOUR KLR TIRE TREADS,,I would avoid it around the tires completley

·
Premium Member
2018 KLR650
326 Posts
Some products, like carnauba can be damaging to some types of plastic. Does anyone know what KLR fairings are made off?
Hello everyone

Well, no one seems to know the answer to this question. No worries, but I didn't ask it just to see my name on the computer screen. I asked it out of caution before I offered this advice.

Silicone spray is great on motorcycle plastics. However, at least one maker of silicone lubricate warns not to use their lubricant on Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic. I believe that at least the factory windscreen on a KLR is Polycarbonate. However, this same brand does suggest using their product on motorcycle plastics.

I often apply silicone lubricant spray onto my motorcycle plastics after washing my bike. Of course, keep it off controls, seat and tyres.

Silicone lubricant will repel water, stop road grime from sticking to plastics and provides some UV protection. Silicon Lubricant can also be buffed to a pretty good shine, if you like that kind of thing. I do.

I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
853 Posts
Another really cheap cleaner is called "LA's totally awesome" and can be found at dollar general for a couple dollars. Spray down the bike with a hose, spray the LAs on, wait a few minutes and rinse it off. Works pretty good.
Maybe Tom knows the guy who makes it, or is it Tom? Hmmm, could be the dude who just got arrested for riding a KLR650 in LA. It's a mystery.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts