Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have developed a clicking/ popping sound that is coming from the front area of my bike. It happens when I go over small bump, even on the street. I am able to replicate the sound by holding the front brake and driving the front forks down a little. It makes a popping sound going down and up at a particular spot. I have jacked the bike up to check for slack in the center berring area, and it appears to be tight and the top nut is tight. By the way, I did put a 6 1/2" spacer in the forks to reduce slag. Anyone run into a similar situation? 2007 KLR with 8,000 miles

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not a member of that forum so I could not see the video. I looked at the video from youtube that shows how to do it but the guy has completely removed the front end of the bike. Can I get away with just loosening the top nut and tightening the bottom nut without having to go through all that?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I am not a member of that forum so I could not see the video. I looked at the video from youtube that shows how to do it but the guy has completely removed the front end of the bike. Can I get away with just loosening the top nut and tightening the bottom nut without having to go through all that?

If it were my bike I would take it apart and look at the bearings. Not that big of a deal especially on a Gen 1 bike. Get the bike on a stand, take the front wheel and brake caliper off and drop the forks out of the tripple clamps. Re-grease and adjust.

You can do just the adjust without taking the wheel and forks off...

You'll need to loosen the top tripple clamps on both sides or you won't be able to tighten the top nut. The adjustment is the splined washer under the top tripple clamp. Best to have the front end off the ground. I adjust so the front end won't flop over to the side without a bit of a push. Carefull not get the bearings too tight.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like good advice, thank you. I will probably do as you say and pull the front wheel and do it right. It's not like "important" or anything, it just the steering on my motorcycle. LOL

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Pulled handle bars and loosened top nut then tightened bottom nut. Put back together and it solved the problem. I also notice the front end is considerably more stable especially into the wind. I see why this should be a regular maintenance thing. Thanks for all the input

1 - 7 of 7 Posts