Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm noticing a clicking sound coming from the (I think) right rear. Doesn't do it when stopped, doesn't do it when I rev it up, not rpm related, only does it when I'm riding. Sounds like something is slapping in the wind, but I've slapped everything so I don't think that's it.
I'm wondering if it's not the bike backfiring. It doesn't sound like a normal backfire on a nice sounding thumper, but since the bike is stock maybe this is how it sounds. Anyone been thru something similar?
While cruising along I put the bike on full choke and nothing changed. It didn't fall on its face, and it didn't pull any harder. It doesn't really do it when coming off full throttle. Mostly when cruising along at mid throttle.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Trouble shooting "sounds" falls under the heading "Black Arts". Short of contracting a Druid Priest, I would get the rear wheel off the ground, and simply spin the wheel and search for the source. I would be checking my chain for "tight spots". Seeing a reddish dust on the chain may be another indicator the chain may be seeing the end of it's useful life. Chain guards can rub, tires can rub. A constant clicking could be anything from a bad bearing to a lodged rock. Or a chain, singing it's swan song. That 270 might be going "clickity clack". If that is the case, it's one of the tire's better attributes.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I have a light tinging bell sound that I've been trying to track down for weeks. I can only hear it at around 2600 rpm and in parking lots and only when she's still warming up.
And every time I'm out for a ride, I swear I hear new sounds. But, I do the same thing when I'm in my Jeep, and did the same thing every time I was driving my VWs.
I think funky vehicles always will make funky sounds. Best of luck sorting it out. I fail at tracking down sounds.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's got aftermarket turn signals and the bulbs are quite loud when I tap them. I'm thinking it might be them.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Vatrader got your six.

Now, are you sure you didn't leave the playing card clipped to the spokes? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Vatrader got your six.

Now, are you sure you didn't leave the playing card clipped to the spokes? ;)
....and as importantly, is it properly secured?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Ace, huh? I always went for the joker. ;)

Clothespins are spot on, though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
you have two choices; louder exhaust or ear plugs.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fixed it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This sounds stupid but I had this conversation with the guy that just bought my Honda Shadow last week. He kept asking me what the clicking sound coming from the lower rear of the bike was as he rode. He had me baffled because I never heard it. Turns out it was something on his new jacket tapping on the side of his helmet. Based on this, my suggestion is to change your riding gear around a little just to eliminate the possibility that it is YOU clicking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts