Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2016 Model (Bought in March 2016) and have done quite a few upgrades from KLX kit , Exhaust, MC Mod, Petcock, 22 cent, L mod to many other and I am really happy how the motorcycles runs but there is one constant issue which I am not able to resolve yet and clueless about it so far.

The issue:

After I ride 70 plus miles or so continuously, I notice that exhaust sounds too loud all of sudden ..to the extent that sound hurt my ears and motorcycle power drops considerably(pulling beyorn 65 mph becomes a struggle).
But if I stop the engine and restart, it's back to normal sound and power. Now, it doesn't happen always so I am not sure whats going on. I thought it might be a vapor lock issue or vacuum issue (as another friend suggested). I replaced the petcock with what eagle mike provided by passing vaccum, I also replaced the fuel line with new braided one, removed those two pink valves from inside the gas cap and blew some WD40 through vacuum vent.

Yesterday it was too hot here in new york (112 F ) and I took it for a ride to upstate new york and this issue resurfaced again. Loud (too much treble) exhaust and lost power then I stopped for a sec to check maps and when i restarted it ran great like nothing happened!

I love and am happy with how motorcycle is running in general but this issue is killing me.

Anyone has any clue about this? I've done 7k miles on it so far with valve adjustments.

Thanks

·
Administrator
8,295 Posts
Well, simple things first. The tank vents might not be working quite correctly. As you use up gas they are supposed to allow air into the tank so that fuel will continue to flow. If they become a bit stuck then they don't allow as much air to flow into the tank as it should, so fuel flow is reduced. You could be running lean when the exhaust not changes and power drops off.

When you shut it off for just a bit the seals have time to catch up, but you get into a rinse-lather-repeat mode.

Take your second key and put it in the gas cap. When the problem occurs, reach down and pop the gas cap. If the problem immediately goes away you've found your issue.

If nothing else, it is a good excuse to go for a nice long ride.

Tom

Reactions: lonsomecrow

·
Administrator
8,295 Posts
Ha!

I read that as he took them out, blew the vent passages with WD40, then put them back. In other words, serviced the seals.

Probably read too much into it.

Tom

·
Registered
529 Posts
Sorry, I don't mean to threadjack, but this may be related.

My bike runs fine, but I do notice I can hear the gas cap venting very often. A slight hissing noise, especially if the bike has been sitting in the sun.

Should i be able to audibly hear this venting, or do I need to have a look see?

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
I had the same thought Tom, then dismissed it as Paul did...... still could be the issue though.

the factory gas cap/tank vent belongs in the same catagory as the vacuum petcock and sidestand and clutch safety switches: all stuff I can do without! :) My IMS tanks have a little rubber vent hose just like every dirtbike I've ever owned....no problems.

Cheers,
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts