Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2018 KLR with 1,600 miles on it. The guy who sold it to me mentioned to me the clutch is not engaging fully and I noticed the clutch cover has been removed. We double checked the proper friction (7) and clutch (6) plates order and thickness, clutch springs measured at 1 3\4", and the basket seems to be okay. Once in gear with clutch out you can push the bike with little resistance, where it should be locking up the tire. Please help me since I have ran out of ideas and didn't see this exact issue when searching this forum. Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special--Flatland Flyer--
218 Posts
problem may be the vertical lever(clutch arm) that goes into the cl cover and the cable hooks to. did the guy say what he was trying to fix by pulling the cover?

· Premium Member
12,844 Posts
I recently purchased a 2018 KLR with 1,600 miles on it. The guy who sold it to me mentioned to me the clutch is not engaging fully and I noticed the clutch cover has been removed. We double checked the proper friction (7) and clutch (6) plates order and thickness, clutch springs measured at 1 3\4", and the basket seems to be okay. Once in gear with clutch out you can push the bike with little resistance, where it should be locking up the tire. Please help me since I have ran out of ideas and didn't see this exact issue when searching this forum. Thanks in advance.
IF the crankshaft nut is not Tight, the primary gear may have sheared the woodruff key.

· Registered
2016 Gen 2 Camo
686 Posts
+1 Clutch activation arm. Can be a common oops if not installed correctly.
The clutch activation arm is mighty tricky the first time you do it. But wouldn’t that mean the opposite of his symptoms?

· Premium Member
12,844 Posts
With only 1600 miles, I'd be asking the person that sold it to the OP if he was the original owner?
If so, how many months after original purchase date did it fail? Why wasn't it repaired under warranty?
Who was the person that previously removed the clutch cover?

What exactly was the rider doing when it failed? Trying to pop a wheelie with a loose primary gear nut on the crankshaft could have sheared the woodruff key in the RH end of the crankshaft.

With the clutch cover removed to be able to watch things, rear tire elevated, transmission in 3rd gear, yank on the rear tire to watch What Slips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts