Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just discovered how NOT to remove a clutch locknut: by wedging a screwdriver between housing and hub and hammering :50: to unlock the nut. Result: the housing broke and the nut is still as tight as if it were one with the housing.

Anyone know how to hold the clutch hub in place whilst removing the locknut? The engine is unfortunately no longer in the bike making life that extra bit harder...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the rather clever
resulted in a broken belt and now the hub turns suspiciously tighter than before. Is this beatch a left hand thread or something?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
No you don't need a drill or a compressor. If you have some bar stock lieing around and a clutch plate to sacrifice you can make the tool to hold the basket. Take a look at the link I posted above. Here is a the tool I bought. http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PRC_L35-471
The impact wrench makes the job easier but is not nesessary.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I saw that method although it also requires (pretty much) that the engine is in the frame so as to be well supported. Also, I'm not quite ready to sacrifice my clutch as yet. I have an electric power drill with hammer function. Has anyone ever used this as an impact wrench? All I would need is a socket adaptor which the chuck can hold... Or am I barking up the wrong tree? My idea is that an impact wrench will save me remounting the engine...

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Yeah, I saw that method although it also requires (pretty much) that the engine is in the frame so as to be well supported. Also, I'm not quite ready to sacrifice my clutch as yet. I have an electric power drill with hammer function. Has anyone ever used this as an impact wrench? All I would need is a socket adaptor which the chuck can hold... Or am I barking up the wrong tree? My idea is that an impact wrench will save me remounting the engine...
I don't think the hammer drill will have nearly the torque required to loosen the nut. Do you have a place around there where you can rent tools? If you rented an electric impact wrench that would do the trick.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can answer that in the positive. I made a wooden clutch holder (pics to follow) and clamped the engine to the workbench, swore, and gave it my all to loosen the nut. Yes, you heard me correctly, a wooden clutch holder! Thanks to that bright spark!

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Great to see you proceeding in spite of all the nay-saying and "can't be done" responses you've gotten since you began with this project. You can do this, you are doing this, and I believe we will witness you riding this bike again. Please keep us "in the loop" with each stage of your progress.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can anyone tell me if a clutch which looks like this will still work? I'm thinking 90% of the housing is intact, it should hold. Am I crazy??

Ignore the arrow, I mean the broken piece.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It will work.....for awhile. The thing isn't a closed circle any more. It will flex. The metal will fatigue. It will likely eventually shatter. There is someone on this forum that had a mostly shot engine. Find them and see if you can get this housing. Under the right circumstances, you could end up with shrapnel in your body, or you could end up wrecked...or dead

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you're saying it's possible. Just kidding, sounds like risky business. I don't what the market's like in the US but it sounds better than here. I can't get that part 2nd hand on eBay Germany which tells me it's rare.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, found some stuff on eBay. Can anyone tell me how to tell if a part for a KLR600 is compatible with a KLR650? Or if I find a Tengai part (KL650B) whether it will fit my KLR (KL650C)? Is it enough to compare part numbers?

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
KLR600 clutch basket compatible only with very early model KLR650's. Basket design change, addition of a couple of disks in KLR650 evolution, IIRC. Yet, the obsolete KLR600 clutch may work; kick-starter transplants to KLR650's have used the older clutch if I'm not mistaken.

Failure to replace the damaged clutch might indicate denial; a grenaded clutch is not a pretty sight.

Still, only you decide which risks you choose to assume.

Next time? Sometimes, I think, an impact wrench is your friend.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts