Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened usually after the bike sits for a couple of days, I start the bike in neutral, pull in the clutch lever and when I shift into first gear the bike lunges forward like the clutch isn't in. If I try to start the bike in gear with the clutch in the bike also lunges forward. After the first or second time it seems to engage. Any ideas???

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
A characteristic of "wet" clutches; cold oil forms some adhesion between clutch disks.

Several countermeasures; among them, hold brake on, increase rpm in neutral, then shift into gear. A momentary lurch occurs before the clutch disk bond is broken, a higher rpm prevents engine stalling during this brief incident.

Then, ride on!

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Welcome to the world of wet clutches. They do this to some degree or another. Some of the riders claim their choice of engine oil affects the clutch plate stickiness that causes this lurch you describe.

Force of habit now, developed from a few dumps and bumps, if a bike with a wet clutch has been sitting for more than a few days, I'll grab the clutch lever, pull it the bar, and let go of it before I start it IN NEUTRAL...then blip the throttle a time or two, grab the front brake lever, and drop it into first. Another simpler method is to rock the bike back in forth a bit in gear, just enough to break the clutch plates free.

What oil are you using?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Weird.. My BMW airhead never does it.. :) (It's got a dry clutch)

Another simpler method is to rock the bike back in forth a bit in gear, just enough to break the clutch plates free.
I don't even think about doing this.. I just rock the bike while pulling in the clutch. Just a foot or two and it's not an issue.. Pretty good lurch if you don't, though.

Olive Oil Forever!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine does it too. It's the nature of the beast. Just pull in the clutch and rock the bike a few times while it's in gear, that will free it up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, glad to know its not a big deal and the bike will live to ride another season. Now I've got to get rid of this winter snow and ice .

·
Registered
1 Posts
A characteristic of "wet" clutches; cold oil forms some adhesion between clutch disks.

Several countermeasures; among them, hold brake on, increase rpm in neutral, then shift into gear. A momentary lurch occurs before the clutch disk bond is broken, a higher rpm prevents engine stalling during this brief incident.

Then, ride on!
Yup Yup!

·
Registered
269 Posts
glad someone asked this question. i'm sure there were quite a few of us with the same issue. i was getting a bit tired of looking like a tool in front of my neighbours after making an obnoxious scene starting mine with the 98dB jardine exhaust, then stalling it when i go to put it in gear. so thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I notice in your bike description you have a 1" lift on your klr, was this a kit or did you modify it yourself? I'm interestedin raising mine a bit. bgdog67

·
Administrator
8,282 Posts
I notice in your bike description you have a 1" lift on your klr, was this a kit or did you modify it yourself? I'm interestedin raising mine a bit. bgdog67
Raising and lowering links are common motorcycle items. Some are inexpensive, some not.

Go to ebay and search for 'klr raising links' and you find what you need.

For the KLR they are inexpensive and a very simple install.

They will have the effect of stiffening the spring, so you may need to pull some pre-load off the rear.

Lift can also be accomplished with a custom build on a rear shock, but that's spendy.

Edit: I've got a pair I'll send to you for the cost of shipping; don't need them any more...

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lurch

Mine did this the first few times, and once it dam near dropped me in the drive. I was quite pissed and talked to my dealer, and he said to put it in gear and rock it. This has now become a habit, and I dont even think about it. I have found that it is easier to unlock the clutch if you put the bike in second, and rock it backwards. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
There is no real cure but the treatment is keep the clutch adjusted as per the manual and change your oil around every 2k miles or so and for safety apply the front brake when shifting into first gear.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Mine does it and I asked the same question once. Before putting it in 1st gear, I just pull in the clutch 2 or 3 times while blipping the throttle: works every time and it slips quietly and smoothly right into 1st. I only have to do this when it's been sitting awhile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts