1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
232 Posts
sadly i think the number will be going up in Quebec, what a horrible accident. i don't expect the US news to cover stories in Canada, it's irrelevant to them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
sadly i think the number will be going up in Quebec, what a horrible accident. i don't expect the US news to cover stories in Canada, it's irrelevant to them.
It may be irrelevant to our scumbag media, but not to this American. Thanks for posting that, and our prayers go out to all effected by this tragedy. We are all brothers and sisters in Christ.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Okay I know its a terrible tragedy that 2 students were killed in that plane crash.'
Does anyone know of a train derailment in Quebec where 5 people were incinerated with 40 still missing when the tanker car exploded?
That happened the same day.
i guess trains arent as commercially viable as a triple 7 to CNN.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/ap/energy/train-carrying-crude-oil-derails-in-quebec/nYfbq/
I was actually thinking the very same thing this morning. I lost all respect for the field of journalism years ago. It's not just CNN, either.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was actually thinking the very same thing this morning. I lost all respect for the field of journalism years ago. It's not just CNN, either.
Yeah i agree, news is a product now.Some sort of commodity to be exploited for commercial gain. Sad isnt it?

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
If somebody suggested the train explosion was possibly caused by "terrorism," they'd be all over it.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
If somebody suggested the train explosion was possibly caused by "terrorism," they'd be all over it.
Hang tight - that will be suggested soon.

This just out: " The chairman of the company whose train exploded in downtown Lac-Mégantic says he is certain it was tampered with."

Greenpeace is already saying we shouldn't be transporting crude oil by rail. Wonder what fuels their cars and boats?

·
Registered
114 Posts
sorry if i offended you with what i said but i did mean the US news media and not the general population of our closest friends to the south.

:wave2:
Sorry I'm running kinda late on this, but I need to respond. I am positively NOT offended. Our sorry ass news media has hit rock bottom in whatever was considered journalistic professionalism. To the news media, I say:41:- to my northern friends, my most cheerful :60: :canada-flag-14:

·
Registered
114 Posts
a4twenty, I looked back at my response and can see how you may have taken it all wrong. Because I wrote it all wrong! I'm with you all the way. sorry about the misrepresentation..:t1204:

·
Registered
216 Posts
"News" is Big Business - and shows much better if you have superstar "anchors" interviewing "reporters" and big interactive video wall dealies and hastily hired "experts" who speculate and postulate..."Well, if an aircraft hits the ground with it's tail first, not on the runway, damage can be expected!" That type of thing.

It's plain old marketing of the pain and suffering of those involved and it's sad.

A while back Frontline did a program on the state of journalism and news reporting in the US. There were lots of parallels to Canadian journalism as our media often apes the US industry.

They talked about a poll in which US residents were asked to rate the #1 current affairs / news national broadcast: The Winner: John Stewart.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have to agree with everyone's comments here about main-stream media. We get more information about the Kardashians than we get on events like this (or about our soldiers in Afghanistan).
By the way, here in northern New England we are hearing much more about the train explosion. Right in our back yard. My heart goes out to the folks in Quebec.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
My thoughts are with all those involved in the tragedy. To be honest, I don't even know much about the SFO crash...been in an editing hole.

I was a sportswriter back in the 90s. I still love reading the "real" print journalists from back in the day. And there is still good reporting, but you are all right - the mainstream shit is drivel, misrepresentation, and exploitation. I don't even consider going back. Ever. And I could use the money. But it just makes me so disgusted.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Unfortunately, with the lame-stream media, it all comes down to which is more sensational: A train derailing and burning a town, or a Boeing 777 crash landing in a major U.S. city?

They'll take the plane crash - especially with the "miracle" that only two people were killed.

Personally, I despise the lame-stream media!

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
Is this not the absolute epitome of lame stream media? It really points how how, in their quest for something for the attractive talking-head to say, their quest to provide shocking and breathtaking news (usually with film at 11), their quest to breathlessly scoop the competition, that they can't be bothered to do a rudimentary fact check.

http://jalopnik.com/san-jose-news-mistakes-racist-joke-for-asiana-flight-21-759160087

T

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Is this not the absolute epitome of lame stream media? It really points how how, in their quest for something for the attractive talking-head to say, their quest to provide shocking and breathtaking news (usually with film at 11), their quest to breathlessly scoop the competition, that they can't be bothered to do a rudimentary fact check.

http://jalopnik.com/san-jose-news-mistakes-racist-joke-for-asiana-flight-21-759160087

T
Yeah, that's absolutely unbelievable. I heard them discussing this on talk radio on the way home from work last night but hadn't seen it myself. Now I see what they were talking about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts