Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the CO emission level for the Gen 2 KLR?

I have just bought myself a new KLR650 in Cape Town and would like to be able to import it to the UK when I'm finished in Africa. The KLR was discontinued in Europe since with its carb it couldn't pass the latest emission regulations but I can put it through a single vehicle test. Looking at the test manual the relevant standard is that CO% at idle cannot exceed 4.5%.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
Andy

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Temporaryescapee,
Again, I'm over here in the USA. But since no one has given any kind of response, I'll give something.
Does the S. African model have the catalytic converter style muffler?
In the USA, the newer catalytic muffler has 4 (four) ,17mm headed, bolts along the bottom edge of the muffler.

The older non-catalytic muffler, had only 3 bolts.

The catalytic converter muffler will probably be "clean enough".

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can anyone tell me the CO emission level for the Gen 2 KLR?

I have just bought myself a new KLR650 in Cape Town and would like to be able to import it to the UK when I'm finished in Africa. The KLR was discontinued in Europe since with its carb it couldn't pass the latest emission regulations but I can put it through a single vehicle test. Looking at the test manual the relevant standard is that CO% at idle cannot exceed 4.5%.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
Andy
I have three exhaust analyzers in my shop at home. Oddly enough, I've never measured the exhaust on my 2013, my previous 2008 or even the 2001 before it! :(

Nevertheless, without modifications (stock jetting, airbox, etc. - and the idle mixture screw less than 2 turns out), it would be doubtful that your bike would exceed 3% CO. HC's most likely would be around 300ppm.

If I remember, I'll put the exhaust analyzer on my bike this weekend and let you know the results.

Ron :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's really helpful, thank you both.

I am not sure if the bike has a catalytic converter - I suspect not, but have emailed Kawasaki to establish what differences there are between the U.S. and RSA models. However based on 3% I should be fine.

Cheers
Andy

·
Administrator
8,295 Posts
As Paul points out, if your exhaust has these four bolts it is a muffler with a catalytic converter.

Further, if your bike has an air injection system, it has a catalytic converter (pretty sure on that, reserve the right to be wrong).

Tom

·
Registered
216 Posts
It came off a 2008+ with a few hundred km. My 2003 came with a supertrap you could hear down the block and made people give me the evil eye. Mine looks a little diff but I thought I would take a look once the sun comes up. If that is ok with you of course.

Crash

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have my bike yet to look. I'm in the UK, the bike is still at the dealers in RSA, pending completion of the registration process. My brother (who lives in RSA) will be picking it up first week of Jan so I will get him to check it out then and send me photos.

It's an odd situation having bought a new bike but not being able to ride it for 18 months. My trip (Cape Town to the UK) is summer 2016. So for the next 18 months my bro gets a free bike and in 18 months I get a bike that has been run in and hopefully any little niggles have been identified and sorted before I head off into the wilds of Africa.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I finally checked my emission levels. :character00201:

My bike's a 2013 with a 685. I've got 28791 miles on the bike.

Idle (1200 rpm)
HC 35ppm
CO 0.23%

3000 rpm
HC 35ppm
CO 0.4%

Ron :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts