Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I contacted Cogent a week or two ago about suspension for KLR G3 bikes. They told me they were working on a few things and would get back to me. They called me today. Cogent now has front and rear suspension options for the KLR G3. I order an adjustable (remote adjustment) rear shock and spring. Shock will be sprung based on my weight, weight of bike mods and anticipated riding conditions. I should have the shock delivered and installed around the first of the year. I may not have much real world riding in for a while after that. It will be deep winter and I am in Montana. Anyway feedback to follow.

Sounds like good news for the front suspension. Cogent indicates that Kawasaki has changed the way the front of the G# KLR bike is sprung and reasonable mods are possible without spring replacements. Oil change and some component replacements including adjustable caps are available. I will work through the rear suspension and then talk to them about what could be done on the front.

Anyways just some more items to consider.

I would be interested in hearing front suspension options others are considering or have installed. I have a while before I make up my mind.

- Scott

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Hi Scott.

it's great that Cogent is putting together shock packages for the Gen3 now; I didn't think it would take them long as there should only be minor tweeks required due to the longer swingarm (potentially). On the front, I'm going to suggest that the changes on the Gen3 fork are springrate only and that you'll still need a damping solution (like Cogent's DDC's which work great). As far as I know, the Gen3 is still a damper rod fork like the KLR has always used. Give Rick or Todd a quick call to confirm

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it was Todd I spoke to. I don’t want to misquote him but I believe what you typed is correct. Remove the rod, change oil weight, add DDC’s and install adjustable caps? I think that was something like he said would be needed with the fork. I will work the rear shock, study up on fork work and go from there.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
I think it was Todd I spoke to. I don’t want to misquote him but I believe what you typed is correct. Remove the rod, change oil weight, add DDC’s and install adjustable caps? I think that was something like he said would be needed with the fork. I will work the rear shock, study up on fork work and go from there.
More or less; you don't need to remove the damper rod - the new 5W oil effectively bypasses it so it's just an oil change and drop in the DDC's. Even using the same springs, you'll need to modify/replace the spacer to account for the height of the DDC body. The adjustable caps are nice but not strictly needed.

Dave

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have talked to Cogent again regarding front forks. The adjustable caps may not fit a bike with stock bars and no risers. I am planning on the DDC drop in and oil change. Cogent believes stock fork springs should work for me. I will order fork parts next week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
More or less; you don't need to remove the damper rod - the new 5W oil effectively bypasses it so it's just an oil change and drop in the DDC's. Even using the same springs, you'll need to modify/replace the spacer to account for the height of the DDC body. The adjustable caps are nice but not strictly needed.

Dave
yes, i'm wondering just how much the adjustable fork caps do. Doesn't the spacer length account for the most of the preload? I'm open to using them, but they are quite an additonal cost if they don't do much than fine tune preload.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,471 Posts
Reality check: How many of is actually adjust the fork air pressures for different rides?

Hmmmm.. ( sound of fingers drumming)

Bueller? Bueller?

Yeah. I thought so. So just set them up once for your riding and then forget about it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don’t believe the 2022s have air pressure connections but I could be wrong? The adjustable caps will not fit without bar raisers. If needed to adjust between unloaded and loaded I would use the caps but cogent indicates they are not needed for my application.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
yes, i'm wondering just how much the adjustable fork caps do. Doesn't the spacer length account for the most of the preload? I'm open to using them, but they are quite an additonal cost if they don't do much than fine tune preload.

They are a convenience item; not a functional one - you set the preload via spacer length, all the adjustable caps do is allow you small changes without taking the caps off and replacing the spacers. Of course, I have the adjustable caps on both of my KLR's but that's only because I can't help myself! LOL

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts