Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had emailed a question to Cogent about their adjustable fork caps related to a 2016 model purchase I have planned. In addition to the answer to my question, the response mentioned that they're contemplating offering the caps for the GEN1. Specifically, [email protected] wrote:

"They are currently available for the Gen 2 (2008-current) KLR650 and the DR650 (1996-current). We’re contemplating offering them for the Gen 1 (1987-2007) KLR650 if we can garner enough interest, so please let us know if you are aware of anyone with a Gen 1 KLR who would be interested."

There you go. Phone number is in the link below if interested. :smile2:

Adjustable preload fork cap - Cogent Dynamics

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
I think it's the old - if your build it, they will come scenario.

Considering the number of KLR's on the road it's almost a no brainer to offer these. How much interest would have to be expressed to convince them to make them? I hate saying I'm interested and then things never come to fruition. I'm sure the market would be there if they were available for immediate purchase/delivery.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
A buddy just got a set for his 2015.....I'd buy some for my Gen1's if they were available.....I don't NEED them but they are just too pretty and if my wife can have yet another set of shoes and add to the purse collection then I feel good about my "moto-jewelry" purchases!

Everything Rick sells is like moto-candy......reminds me of Eaglemike.

Dave

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Cogent design, manufacture, testing and customer support remains outstanding, from what I observed spending two days in their shop as my riding companions had suspension makeovers.

The Generation 1 KLR650s have a pneumatic front fork pre-load system (unlike Generation 2s). "Standard" pressure is 0 psi; however . . . I'd think some preload could be achieved by applying a few psi to the air valves at the heads of the fork tubes.

Replacing the air preload with mechanical preload appears positive and feasible. Whether to offer mechanical fork pre-load adjusters or not poses a complex economic question, I would think. Producing a unique system for the smaller-diameter Generation 1 forks appears not unlike starting from scratch, as far as design, development, and manufacture are concerned, to me. A certain magnitude of demand would have to be assumed to anticipate recovery of design and development expenses, justifying production and inventory of this part, seems to me.

After all, existing production resources can be devoted to products with predictably known sales volume, instead of assigned to speculative new merchandise.

Doubtless, a universal challenge of business: Manufacturing and stocking merchandise that moves! Best wishes for a new and successful goodie in Cogent's product line!

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Cogent design, manufacture, testing and customer support remains outstanding, from what I observed spending two days in their shop as my riding companions had suspension makeovers.

The Generation 1 KLR650s have a pneumatic front fork pre-load system (unlike Generation 2s). "Standard" pressure is 0 psi; however . . . I'd think some preload could be achieved by applying a few psi to the air valves at the heads of the fork tubes.

Replacing the air preload with mechanical preload appears positive and feasible. Whether to offer mechanical fork pre-load adjusters or not poses a complex economic question, I would think. Producing a unique system for the smaller-diameter Generation 1 forks appears not unlike starting from scratch, as far as design, development, and manufacture are concerned, to me. A certain magnitude of demand would have to be assumed to anticipate recovery of design and development expenses, justifying production and inventory of this part, seems to me.

After all, existing production resources can be devoted to products with predictably known sales volume, instead of assigned to speculative new merchandise.

Doubtless, a universal challenge of business: Manufacturing and stocking merchandise that moves! Best wishes for a new and successful goodie in Cogent's product line!

I don't know that I'd look at it as "replacing the air preload with mechanical".....both Gen1 and Gen2 forks are functionally identical and both have precut preload spacers installed from the factory. Honestly I don't think there is any real difference other than Cogent would have to manufacture them to fit on the 39mm forks.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I don't know that I'd look at it as "replacing the air preload with mechanical".....both Gen1 and Gen2 forks are functionally identical and both have precut preload spacers installed from the factory. Honestly I don't think there is any real difference other than Cogent would have to manufacture them to fit on the 39mm forks.

Cheers,
Dave
If both Generation 1 and Generation 2 KLR650s have air valves to control front fork spring pre-load, I stand corrected.

If, after installing Cogent fork cap pre-load adjusters on a Generation 1, the Generation 1 RETAINS the pneumatic front fork pre-load system, I stand also corrected.

My perceptions (perhaps erroneous): Generation 1s have pneumatic front fork spring pre-loading, Generation 2s do not. Installation of mechanical front spring preload adjusters on a Generation 1 REPLACES the pneumatic preload system, as in . . . no more air valves for that purpose.

If I'm in error, thanks for the correction/clarification.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
If both Generation 1 and Generation 2 KLR650s have air valves to control front fork spring pre-load, I stand corrected.

If, after installing Cogent fork cap pre-load adjusters on a Generation 1, the Generation 1 RETAINS the pneumatic front fork pre-load system, I stand also corrected.

My perceptions (perhaps erroneous): Generation 1s have pneumatic front fork spring pre-loading, Generation 2s do not. Installation of mechanical front spring preload adjusters on a Generation 1 REPLACES the pneumatic preload system, as in . . . no more air valves for that purpose.

If I'm in error, thanks for the correction/clarification.
Nope, I wouldn't say error but both generations have precut spacers for preload....all the Cogent pce does is to allow the spacer length to be adjusted without removing the cap and installing different length spacers....I'd suggest the air adjustibility "feature" doesn't address spring preload specifically.

It's true that you would no longer have the air valve on your Gen 1 forks, but I'd imagine that most people springing (no pun intended) for these babies also have Cogent DDC's and they recommend that you don't run any additional air pressure.

Anyhow,

Cheers,
Dave

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Air pressure in the suspension system causes the seals to 'grip' the inner fork pipe 'tighter'. Referred to as 'seal stiction'.
Which is why 'Newer' suspension systems have air 'Bleeder Valves' to remove air pressure, instead of 'Shrader valves' to increase air pressure.
Letting the proper spring rates and preload spacers do their jobs, properly.

But hey, its a KLR, its already Compromised! lol.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Thanks, DPellitier and pdwestman, for the clarification!

The KLR250 manual suggests increased fork valve pressure for increased load/rough road; I thought spring pre-load was involved. Increased stricture makes sense.

·
Administrator
8,369 Posts
This is from the Kawasaki KLR600 manual. It has been my understanding that Kawasaki's intent with the valves was to let built-up pressure out of the forks and have zero pressure when the forks were extended.

Weird that they call it 'standard' pressure. I wonder if there is someplace that they described tuning the front suspension by adding a 'non-standard' pressure to the forks.

Later in the manual they talk about finishing assembly and 'pressurize the fork
to the specified pressure.' Can't find a 'specified pressure' other than 'atmospheric'.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Yes, according to the manual (at least my 2000, 2001 and Clymer), fork adjustment is by spacer preload, oil level and viscosity. valve is there to vent built-up air and standard air pressure is recommended.....which now makes me wonder how often I'd have to take off those shiney Cogent adjusters in order to vent the forks! hmmmmm...

On the flip side, I do remember some earlier forks being marketed as "air adjustable" like on my 1982 RM250Z.....or was it my XR200R....

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Weird that they call it 'standard' pressure. I wonder if there is someplace that they described tuning the front suspension by adding a 'non-standard' pressure to the forks.

to the specified pressure.' Can't find a 'specified pressure' other than 'atmospheric'.

Weird, indeed, when the Service Manual Supplement for the very similar KLR250 front suspension recommends pressure of 2.84-4.7 psi ((0.2-0.3 kg/cm>2) for, "rough road."

Atmospheric pressure is recommended when, "on road."

Kawasaki KLR250 Motorcyucle Service Manual Supplement, 12th Edition (1), November 5, 2002, p. 12-3.

On page 11-8 of the Kawasaki KLR600 Motorcycle Service Manual, one finds this italicized note:

"Addition of air pressure is not recommended since atmospheric pressure is the most suitable setting for all ranges of riding."

Thus saith Kawasaki!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ordered my full cogent suspension for my 06 yesterday from Todd. he did talk about the preload caps and we talked at length. I basically don't want them at this stage but I might down the road and I told him with the amount of Gen 1's still being ridden he should make them.

Todd said if they could get around 20 people interested they would make up a batch....so if you have any interest at all, let them know!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I've always assumed this "standard pressure" was a translation anomaly in going from Japanese to English. I do know that some people run higher fork air pressure for purposes such as loaded bike and did play with it a bit but concluded it wasn't worth my playing.

I've also thought of installing a bridle between the forks, as we used to do with some forks, in order to maintain both forks at the same pressure. It seemed a better idea with the tiny forks in the past than now.

An air pump, a'la'Gold Wing, seemed like something to play with also but haven't gotten around to it.

I'd not be interested in adjustable caps as simply spring and space to where they are wanted.

Very open to changing that idea.

This is from the Kawasaki KLR600 manual. It has been my understanding that Kawasaki's intent with the valves was to let built-up pressure out of the forks and have zero pressure when the forks were extended.

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
I've always assumed this "standard pressure" was a translation anomaly in going from Japanese to English. I do know that some people run higher fork air pressure for purposes such as loaded bike and did play with it a bit but concluded it wasn't worth my playing.

I've also thought of installing a bridle between the forks, as we used to do with some forks, in order to maintain both forks at the same pressure. It seemed a better idea with the tiny forks in the past than now.

An air pump, a'la'Gold Wing, seemed like something to play with also but haven't gotten around to it.

I'd not be interested in adjustable caps as simply spring and space to where they are wanted.

Very open to changing that idea.
If one of us had our Gen 1 owners hand book handy, it might tell us to Not Exceed 36 psi or risk damage to seals.

My 1981 KDX420-A1 competition enduro had 'air adjustable' forks.
It's Owners manual / Service manual lists fork air pressures as,
STD, (14 psi)-------Min, (8 psi)--------------Max, (36 psi)

Fork oil levels from,
STD, (130 mm)-------Min, (190 mm)--------Max, (120 mm)

It was about the same size of fork as KLR.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
1st GEN Adjustable preload fork caps

I recently bit the bullet and ordered up a whole new suspension from Cogent Dynamics for my 05 KLR. While waiting for it to be built and delivered I was perusing there web site and came across Adjustable preload fork caps. All though my conversation with Todd at Cogent was very in depth I don't remember anything being said about preload adjusting fork caps being an option for me. I fired off an email asking him about them and he responded that they are available for the 2nd Gen (08 and newer) bikes but not the ist gen bikes. Different fork size I guess. He did tell me that if there was an interest they would seriously considerer making a batch to fit the 1st gen bikes.

Todd says they need to make and sell at least 20 sets to break even. They sell for just shy of $170. Now I know KLR owners are notoriously known for being "thrifty", but what is almost instant and totally easy adjustability worth? Granted I just dropped half what I paid for the bike from the original owner on a new suspension. A good chunk of that for the remote preload adjuster for the rear Moab shock. But I have read numerous posts and articles about how the best thing you can do for your KLR is to upgrade the suspension. And since my wife wont give me a purchase order for a BMW or KTM I ordered up the suspension.

So how about it all you 1st Gen owners? Are there 20 of us out there who want to be able to click up the preload on our forks when we load up for a long trip or want to put the wife or girl friend on the back. And then when we get home and unload click down the preload for the trip to the post office or that great piece of pie? If so let Cogent Dynamics Cogent Dynamics - USA Made Motorcycle Suspension know.

By the way I am in no way affiliated with Cogent. I have just bought some of there stuff and want more. This plea is purely selfish.>:)

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I was talking to Todd at Cogent about my new suspension and he sent me this.

It appears that there are some Gen 1 KLR owners out there that would like to have adjustable preload for caps. We think that there may be enough interest to do a production run. “May” is the key word here as we can’t afford to eat a production run, or most of one, if enough demand doesn’t materialize. We decided a firm commitment was needed from those that want them. If we get that commitment, we’ll make them. We need 10 buyers to place a firm order with us. In exchange for this commitment, these first 10 buyers that place their order will get their caps at the introductory price of $119 instead of the normal price of $169. A 50% ($59.50) deposit will be required to reserve the introductory price on their order. Once we have 10 buyers, we will notify all buyers that production will begin and deposits will become non-refundable. Production will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks from that point. When complete, we will invoice the remaining balance of $59.50 plus applicable shipping charges and ship them out to their new owners. Anyone interested should contact us directly at [email protected] or 828-628-9025. Oh, by the way, we’ll also be looking for a retired (bent, pitted, etc.) Gen 1 fork that we can destroy at the threaded end. If anyone out there has one that they’d like to donate to the cause, we can offer some extra consideration on their caps.

If anyone is interested let them know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was talking to Todd at Cogent about my new suspension and he sent me this.

It appears that there are some Gen 1 KLR owners out there that would like to have adjustable preload for caps. We think that there may be enough interest to do a production run. “May” is the key word here as we can’t afford to eat a production run, or most of one, if enough demand doesn’t materialize. We decided a firm commitment was needed from those that want them. If we get that commitment, we’ll make them. We need 10 buyers to place a firm order with us. In exchange for this commitment, these first 10 buyers that place their order will get their caps at the introductory price of $119 instead of the normal price of $169. A 50% ($59.50) deposit will be required to reserve the introductory price on their order. Once we have 10 buyers, we will notify all buyers that production will begin and deposits will become non-refundable. Production will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks from that point. When complete, we will invoice the remaining balance of $59.50 plus applicable shipping charges and ship them out to their new owners. Anyone interested should contact us directly at [email protected] or 828-628-9025. Oh, by the way, we’ll also be looking for a retired (bent, pitted, etc.) Gen 1 fork that we can destroy at the threaded end. If anyone out there has one that they’d like to donate to the cause, we can offer some extra consideration on their caps.

If anyone is interested let them know.
Called Todd on the venting issue and according to Rick it is a non issue on the KLR's......also they have been using the Gen 2 caps for a while now with no issues. I put my name on the list and right now there are 2...we need 8 more. :) I am willing to give them a shot at $119 bucks....

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I talked with Todd at Cogent Dynamics today and he said they have 9 commitments for the GEN 1 caps. Only one left for the introductory price. If you were considering it now is the time to decide. Give Todd a call and get that last slot for the lower price. They are getting ready to ship my new shock and front end package. Cant wait to get them on.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
My 2003 original front forks have a factory sticker on them that specifies "max pressure 35psi".
My Suzuki RM125 motocross bike had air valves as did my Honda XR500. These were to tune the suspension, not to bleed out "accumulated" built up air. How does that air get INTO the sealed fork tubes?

I installed air valves on my 2011KLR and have been using 5psi in them for 3 years with no issues. Adjusting the fork preload using compressed air is a simple and effective method to achieve the desired ride height and feel in my opinion.
Here is a thought....The forks are a sealed cylinder. As they compress the air trapped inside becomes pressurized. I wonder how much pressure is there when the forks are fully compressed. I'll bet it is a lot more than 5 psi!
If the pressure causes issues with the fork seals the forks would need to be continuously vented to atmosphere like the crankcase and fuel tanks are.
JJ

1 - 20 of 37 Posts