Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I just pulled mine off my 05 to send it in for a tune up, noticed the same rub marks.
How did you fix it?
I removed the shock, then identified the area or areas that were rubbing. In my case I could see yellow paint deposits on the swing arm gusset.

Then I used my pneumatic soft wheel angle grinder to remove some material.

I did it with the swing arm on the bike. It was a real pain as there is not much room to work. Had I known clearance around the shock would be an issue I would have done it the week before installing the shock when I had the swing arm of the bike for a re-grease. Oh well I guess that would have been too easy.

No pain no gain they tell me.

· Registered
6 Posts
I removed the shock, then identified the area or areas that were rubbing. In my case I could see yellow paint deposits on the swing arm gusset.

Then I used my pneumatic soft wheel angle grinder to remove some material.

I did it with the swing arm on the bike. It was a real pain as there is not much room to work. Had I known clearance around the shock would be an issue I would have done it the week before installing the shock when I had the swing arm of the bike for a re-grease. Oh well I guess that would have been too easy.

No pain no gain they tell me.
Thank You, I will give it the twice over when my shock returns, like you I pulled my swing arm a while back
and lubed it, I saw no signs of rubbing at that time.

· Registered
2015 KLR 650
15 Posts
I guess there’s no way to know for sure until the new shock is installed. How much material did you have to shave off? I imagine not much.

I’m also curious about how common this is. I have been searching about Cogent suspension and the need to shave a bit off the swingarm web doesn’t seem to come up a lot.

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I guess there’s no way to know for sure until the new shock is installed. How much material did you have to shave off? I imagine not much.

I’m also curious about how common this is. I have been searching about Cogent suspension and the need to shave a bit off the swingarm web doesn’t seem to come up a lot.
I'm thinking around a mm or two. I did not take any measurements so it's just a guess.

If you need to do yours I highly recommend removing the swing arm to do it. Much easier and allows you to lube the bearings.

· Premium Member
4,839 Posts
I am gonna stop reading you guys posts cuz they end up creating a lot more work for me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :oops: ;)
Well, now that you have that done, you need to make a little mudflap for your shock to prevent it from getting pelted with rocks and packed with muck! I attached a chunk of automotive mudflap to the two holes at the forward edge of the inner fender and let it sit just shy of the swingarm with the suspension at full extension.

Dave

· Premium Member
4,839 Posts

I took off about an 1/8".....maybe a bit more

Dave

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, now that you have that done, you need to make a little mudflap for your shock to prevent it from getting pelted with rocks and packed with muck! I attached a chunk of automotive mudflap to the two holes at the forward edge of the inner fender and let it sit just shy of the swingarm with the suspension at full extension.

Dave
Well crap Dave. You guys keep inventing more stuff for me to do!!! Lol. To date I have done more mods to my KLR than any bike I have ever owned.

I recently shortened the side stand by 3/4 of an inch and now I am playing with the jetting again.

There was the battle of the bands and today it's the battle of the jetting kits. JD vs KLX needle route...the jury is still out.

Stay tuned...news at 6.

· Registered
6 Posts
Update.............................
Went to give my Bike the twice over, it turns out that a vent tube that sits on the right side
was rubbing against my shock, not the swing arm.
I failed to put it in back the keeper after pulling the swingarm, the vent tube was covered in yellow paint.
I beleive that to be my problem.

I will be able to do some better KLR Forensics when it returns from Cogent, it arrived there today.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts