Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn’t want to step on someone else’s thread.
Just wanted to say that I was hesitant in starting my new to me KLR650 because it’s been sitting and I also repacked and fixed the Big Gun muffler on it. Anyway,
So I turned the gas on put the choke/enrichener to full and it turned over maybe 2 times and fired right up and idled real smooth which made me happy being when I picked it up he had to push the starter switch twice each time he started it.
On a side note the Big Gun Muffler sounds way better now that I repacked it and got the screen back around the exhaust then it did when I bought it but it’s a bit loud for this 60 year old rider, luckily I just bought a muffler off a 011 which only had 5k on it when they removed it so they say, it looks like new in the pics so hopefully it does in real life.
Can anyone suggest a aftermarket muffler that isn’t so loud, closer to stock but 3/4 the weight?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The DG that came on my 2017 was really quiet. I've taken the quite core out of it and now it's too loud. DG has a couple different 'stages' and I'll be picking one up to try. I think they're 20 or 30 bucks.

I'm not sure if big gun does it this way too but it may be something to look into.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Didn’t want to step on someone else’s thread.
Just wanted to say that I was hesitant in starting my new to me KLR650 because it’s been sitting and I also repacked and fixed the Big Gun muffler on it. Anyway,
So I turned the gas on put the choke/enrichener to full and it turned over maybe 2 times and fired right up and idled real smooth which made me happy being when I picked it up he had to push the starter switch twice each time he started it.
On a side note the Big Gun Muffler sounds way better now that I repacked it and got the screen back around the exhaust then it did when I bought it but it’s a bit loud for this 60 year old rider, luckily I just bought a muffler off a 011 which only had 5k on it when they removed it so they say, it looks like new in the pics so hopefully it does in real life.
Can anyone suggest a aftermarket muffler that isn’t so loud, closer to stock but 3/4 the weight?
Leo Vince X3, not loud, sounds good, NEVER has to be repacked.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The DG that came on my 2017 was really quiet. I've taken the quite core out of it and now it's too loud. DG has a couple different 'stages' and I'll be picking one up to try. I think they're 20 or 30 bucks.

I'm not sure if big gun does it this way too but it may be something to look into.
Big Gun does have a insert but it sounds like it’s not all that effective, the issue I have with the Big Gun on my KLR is that the screen that runs from front to back that the packing raps around is all messed up, either the previous owner or someone repacked it and couldn’t get it installed right so they beat it into the muffler and damaged both ends of the screen so now a insert will not fit in,
I might call Big Gun and see if I can get a new one, all I see for sale are the inserts that go inside the screen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Big Gun does have a insert but it sounds like it’s not all that effective, the issue I have with the Big Gun on my KLR is that the screen that runs from front to back that the packing raps around is all messed up, either the previous owner or someone repacked it and couldn’t get it installed right so they beat it into the muffler and damaged both ends of the screen so now a insert will not fit in,
I might call Big Gun and see if I can get a new one, all I see for sale are the inserts that go inside the screen.
Bummer!! Sounds like a good plan though, as long as the part isn't too pricey. I'm sure there's other exhausts out there that are lighter and quieter but $$$, right?

The DG was priced really competitively, I was surprised. The PO put it on the bike before I got it.

I've got a 2017 boat anchor for you but I'm a long ways from MN!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bummer!! Sounds like a good plan though, as long as the part isn't too pricey. I'm sure there's other exhausts out there that are lighter and quieter but $$$, right?

The DG was priced really competitively, I was surprised. The PO put it on the bike before I got it.

I've got a 2017 boat anchor for you but I'm a long ways from MN!
Thanks, I just bought a 12 pound boat anchor for backup from a member in Oregon that looks to be almost new from the pics, rumor has it it was taken off when almost new and a aftermarket exhaust put on, what’s really nice is the seller covered shipping so it wasn’t a bad deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts