Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone looking for decent cold weather, waterproof gloves, Iron Pony (www.ironpony.com on the web or local if you're near Columbus, OH) has a blowout on the Teknic Thunder cold weather leather gloves. They're selling for $19.99. Not sure what retail is, but some other internet sites are selling them for $59.99.

I bought a pair and they seem really nice. They have nice padding, are totally wind and waterproof and have lengthy gauntlets that keep the wind from traveling up your arms.

Anyway, just a heads up if anyone else is interested.

Cheers!

:lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
w00t!! Thanks for posting this! I just got back from the Tour de Pisgah ride, and I completely froze my ASS off mainly in part that all I have our warmer weather riding gloves. I ended up having to buy a $5 pair of construction gloves at the local gas station just so I could make the ride back to johnson city without losing my fingers. $19 looks to be a great deal, think I am going to order a pair tonight. Here is a short review I found for them, compared to other models, listed about a third of the way down.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/cold_weather_glove_comparison/

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Do they look like these?

If so they are okay down to about 45 degrees. I wore them while riding the V-max around southern Ohio a week ago. I froze my hands off till around 11 am when it warmed up a little. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope Buildit... I believe you have the Chicane model... These are the Thunders...

Seriously insulated, waterproof, windproof...

You wouldn't have been cold in these at 25 degrees much less 45 degrees. Don't want to wear them at anything above 50 degrees though. Way to warm... winter only I would say.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Crabtre...

Thanks for the heads-up!

Exactly what I was looking for...just placed my order. :h0065

Chet

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
crabtre said:
Nope Buildit... I believe you have the Chicane model... These are the Thunders...

Seriously insulated, waterproof, windproof...

You wouldn't have been cold in these at 25 degrees much less 45 degrees. Don't want to wear them at anything above 50 degrees though. Way to warm... winter only I would say.
Ah, I see the truth of it. :mrgreen:
One of these day I need to get heated hand grips on the V-max like the KLR. With the bark busters on the KLR wind isn't too bad, but in triple digits on the V-max your extremities get cold quick! :lol: I actually had a snow mobile glove over the top of the teknic glove on my right hand.

*Are those wipers between the index finger and thumb or fabric? :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
w00t! My gloves came in yesterday. Its too warm to try them out right now, but they look to be pretty heavily built and I cant wait to see how they do when the temps drop.

·
Registered
308 Posts
crabtre said:
Anyway, just a heads up if anyone else is interested.

Cheers!

:lol:
Thanks for the heads-up! I needed a pair of winter gloves for my wife. They have only small and XL left. Fortunately, she has 'lady hands,' and the smalls will work just right.
Thanks again!

Jamie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bummer!

I just got a call from Iron Pony to let me know they had an inventory problem, and their gloves that were inventoried as XL were actually 2XL, so they had to cancel my order.

I am disappointed, because they looked like the perfect winter riding glove, but kudos to Iron Pony for actually calling me to let me know.

Chet

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Biker Scout said:
Hey, give these a try.... Joe Rocket Blizzard Gloves for only $22

NewEnough.com
I ordered a pair of the red gloves and some liners. Hope they do the job.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Did yours come yet? Mine arrived today... wifey called and told me. I hope they do the trick as well! I didn't get any liners... which one's did you get, the silk?

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Biker Scout said:
Did yours come yet? Mine arrived today... wifey called and told me. I hope they do the trick as well! I didn't get any liners... which one's did you get, the silk?
Mine should be here tomorrow. I got both. I told you I am a wimp when it comes to cold. :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Biker Scout said:
Hey I actually got mine yesterday. They fit very good without and with the liners, silk and fleece. I am riding both Saturday and sunday so I should get a good feel for them.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My observations on the Joe Rocket gloves... decent. (for the price)

First off, they are nothing more than snow gloves in terms of fit and protection. There's only leather strips on the palms fot the only reason that they keep the fabric from wearing out and providing grip. Nothing on the back of the hand, and the wrist strap doesn't really keep the gloves on. I can pull them off easily.

For these reasons is why I suspect they were on sale and no longer available in Joe Rocket's line-up as a "Real Motorcycle Glove"

But... so far in the season they have proven to be warm and wind resistant. I've had many expensive goves that don't block the cold wind as well. As it gets colder and I start to use my Hot Grips, we'll see if they can stand up to the test of wind chill in the low teens.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Biker Scout said:
My observations on the Joe Rocket gloves... decent. (for the price)

First off, they are nothing more than snow gloves in terms of fit and protection. There's only leather strips on the palms fot the only reason that they keep the fabric from wearing out and providing grip. Nothing on the back of the hand, and the wrist strap doesn't really keep the gloves on. I can pull them off easily.

For these reasons is why I suspect they were on sale and no longer available in Joe Rocket's line-up as a "Real Motorcycle Glove"

But... so far in the season they have proven to be warm and wind resistant. I've had many expensive goves that don't block the cold wind as well. As it gets colder and I start to use my Hot Grips, we'll see if they can stand up to the test of wind chill in the low teens.
I agree with BS. For $22 it was a good purchase and I will continue to use them in colder and wet weather. I used mine on a Saturday morning ride to Lake Berryessa. I also used the silk liners and had no problems with this combination as long as I was not shifting a lot. As soon as it warmed up a bit I switched to my thin Olympia gloves with the silk liners. All was good and I had a better feel for the levers.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
blimpman said:
Paper said:
I bought these glove from NewEnough. They are very warm and so far I like them alot. True test will come in a month or so when it gets into the 10's and 20's.
I also bought these gloves and they fit well. I usually wear a LG but I bought XL since I planned on using liners with them. The gloves and liners fit well. I wore them when riding to Corbin's a few weeks ago and my fingers got cold. Apparently they let air in. I don't have handguards but if I did I would have guessed my fingers would have been alright.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts