Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
You're under warranty; fuel injection, some say, accommodates changes in ambient temperature and altitude. Maybe not. Sounds like a job for the selling dealership (or maybe, ANY Kawasaki dealership).

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Did you check the electrolyte level in your battery cells?

Just askin'!

New battery with adequate electrolyte content, running the engine for a while oughta charge the battery. Can't start? Jump with known hot (e.g., from your automobile) battery.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
But it Shrunk! The FTZ9 is to be tested as an 8 amp hour battery!
Fascinating! Generation 1s have 14 amp-hour batteries; Generation 3s have 8 amp-hour batteries. Quite puzzling, because Generation 1s use no battery power for ignition, unlike the latter-day (Generation 2s, and, I presume, Generation 3s) electrical configurations.

What, do you suppose, CHANGED, electrically, between the generations?

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I personally feel that PlayDoh's dealership OWES him a brand new battery that has been filled & allowed to absorb the acid into its plates for 1 hour & then Charged on an old fashioned 1 amp charger for about 8 hours or until 15+ volts is confirmed while still on the charger. Allowed to rest/stabilize for 1 hour & confirm voltage is still above 12.8 volts.
I thought PlayDoh has a Generation 3 (2022) model KLR; I thought you said these motorcycles have AGM batteries (no cells to fill, right?).

Regardless, assume his purchase remains under warranty; hope the selling dealer stands behind his product.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
(Irrelevant post follows.) In my perceived experience, lithium battery-powered devices have no graceful discharge curve. Instead, the lithium batteries work fine until they, "tire," then they shut down completely, abruptly, needing charging. Lead-acid, or dry cell batteries lose power gradually as the power source discharges; no, "sudden death" as with lithium power. YMMV! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts