Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After doing alot of searching the forum, i have found one set of hard saddle bags i realy like. the Pelican 1430's. only problem is, there is no set way to mount these to the KLR 650. DXKLR deserves alot of credit for my mount design, because it is based on his trail tested and true mount, so thank you for taking the time to measure and describe ,in detail, your mount, you have inspired me.

Project Goals:

-Use 2 Pelican 1430 Hard Cases.
-Make the boxes easily and quickley removable. (pull a pin, remove the cases)
-overbuild the mount to be strong enough to support the weight of the bike in the event of a spill
-keep weight to a minimum

Step1- tear down the bike,

to the component level, and see whats going on. i have decided to make the mount mount to two places. the OEM turn signal hole, and the OEM luggage rack mounting hole. the mount will bolt to the luggage rack and the frame, through the luggage rack, for impact strength.

Step2- Break out the cardboard,

and start fiddling around for ideas. i use my cardboard as a direct template so when i am happy with the cardboard i move on to the...

Step3- Metal Fabrication

OEM Turn Signal thread size: 10mm 1.25

OEM Cap Screw ( the one on the side of the factory rack that is recessed and holds rack to frame) thread size: 8mm 1.25

The metal is 1/8th" thick x 2" wide Hot roll steel stock

Square Tube: Hot Rolled Mild Steel Square Tube A36, Height 1", Wall 0.065", Inside Height 0.87" , Weight/lineal foot: 0.8264 pounds

Square Stock: Cold Finish Mild Steel Square 1018, Height 0.875", Weight/lineal foot: 2.6001 pounds ( i used about a 3" piece per side)

Slightly sand all edges of the 7/8" square stock to allow it to slide into the 1" square tube. it should have some play, but not too much play (the amount of sanding you will have to do will depend on the metal manufacturer). Champher the weld locations and the end that will be slid into the tube. this makes sliding the stock in slightly easier, and on the other side it will allow a nice strong weld to the 1/8" plate bracket.

Decide on the type of pin/lock you want to use. keep in mind that the pin only has to prevent the tube from sliding off of the stock, it will only be exposed to a small shear force. drill the proper sized hole (slightly larger that the pin/lock shackle). coordinate the drilling of the hole so that it will weaken the stock/tube in its least crutial areas.(toward the box end of the square stock im assuming)

I am welding the solid stock to the bracket that will be bolted to the bike. my theory on this is that i want to keep as much of the weight as close to the center of gravity as possible and to avoid the sagging effect that weight further away from the bracket would have. protect the freshly sanded square stock with a scrap piece of square tube to prevent weld spatter that will hinder smooth sliding in the future. I think its time to invest in a new, better welder, but o-well they dont look prety but they will hold.

The Bike Side of the bracket is Complete.

Step 4: The cases/case brackets

The outside plate is 2"x 1/8" x 6.25"long flatstock

the inside plate is the same flatstock, i just used up whatever i had left. Drill the holes at the same time to ensure alignment.

square the outside plates to the OEM luggage rack

inside plate and 3/8" bolts/washers/lock washers/ nuts (use silicon to seal around the bolts to keep the box water tight, inside and out)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will Keep everyone updated as i make progress, hopefully it will be finished for my September 6th trip to Lake George NY!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, my 7/8" square came in today, so the last thing i am waiting for is the boxes. i will try and go ahead with the brackets as much as i can untill they arive!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finished!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks DX!

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
One question?

Will the pelican cases hold up with all the weight supported in one place like you have them?

I would think some kind of support on the bottom of the boxes would be needed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was wondering the same thing that DADDYJOE was saying. Let us know how your set up works. Please post any changes you mite make. Your set up looks really great. There's nothing like making your own stuff. I made my own version of a carrier deck for the rear rack. One of these days I'll learn to post pictures and put it online.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am was concerned with the same thing, but after seeing that DXKLR has a very similar setup, with no reported problems yet, i decided to take his ideas... if it becomes a problem i will let you guys know and add some bracketry. the pelican cases seem extremely strong however.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just got back from a 500 mile round trip, everything held up fine!

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is the best looking homemade setup I've seen. I was wondering how it'd hold up with a lot of weight in the cases. I guess the weak point would be where the bracket is bolted to the plastic case. Let me know what you think. I might try this with ammo cans. Thanks for the awsome write-up.

·
Registered
269 Posts
yeah, nice! i am going to build a set too. i have been dying to see a setup for the 1430 cases. Do you all think the 1440s are too big? They are 19x12x16. i might make mine a bit tighter to the sides. throw some insulation on the muffler side. just gotta make sure i can get in there to get a lock off. i will make mine a bit lower so i can put a top case on and maybe run a support rod between the 2 cases on the bottoms if there is room around the wheel. Great design. thanks for doing the leg work. gotta order my cases (i was holding off until i saw something like this).

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
step one today. moved my turn signals. also swapped out the front light holders for the rear ones. sucked em in a bit. started looking around for metal stock. hope my pelicans come this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
stupid a$$ cases showed up YELLOW! no way i'm putting goofy looking yum yum yellow cases on a camo green klr. so now i gotta send em back and wait for black. maybe i can get my backing plates made while i wait. at least it is still cold and i dont have any camping trips planned yet.

·
Registered
269 Posts
ok got my welding 'done' today. I can't say i really caught on to the welder i borrowed - lots of dingle berries. mig, but just had hi and low setting on the juice and a dial for the feeder. anyway, brackets are done and cases due in wednesday. doing it again, i would just make a triangle, but i do like having the 2 attachemet points. just gotta clean em up tomorrow, drill for the locks and paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone know what size ammo cans are about the same as the 1430 Pelican cases?

I love Colorado Toms design. He made his boxes stick out farther so that the lids would open all the way. You could also raise them high enough so they will open all the way, then bring them in tighter, depending on what you have on top of the factory rack.

I'm going with ammo cans for three reasons... They're cheaper, the lids open in such away that I can mount them closer to the bike, and they're metal so they won't melt near the muffler. The downside is that they're heavier and more square-looking.

I guess there's a fourth reason to use ammo cans. The machine gun mounted on the handle bars won't look so out of place.
:character00268:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Great job and write up and great pics. I would probably make the plate that mounts on the pelicans a T or H because I like overkill braces because in a tip over half the weight of the bike will rest on the cases.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone know what size ammo cans are about the same as the 1430 Pelican cases?
The 40mm ammo can is just about the same size as the Pelican 1430 cases. The Pelican cases are 13.56" x 5.76" x 11.70" on the interior, and the 40mm ammo cans are 6 x 18 1/4 x 9 3/4"h on the outside with thinner walls. The downside of the ammo cans is that they weigh 14lbs each. I just ordered two on eBay for $50.00 shipped. The price can't be beat. I can live with the weight since that's not what I'm concerned with for traveling, and thanks to Colorado Tom they can be quickly detatched using his system.

Thanks again CT!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/used-40-mm-ammo-can.aspx?a=571926 has these for $25.00 each which is a good deal if you know ammo cans like I do. I just happened to get two on eBay shipped for that price. I lucked out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts