Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 KLR650
326 Posts
Hello
My name is Matthew. I live in Adelaide. I just bought a brand new KLR. It's done 3000km now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gday Barf
I bought my 2013 KLR last week. It had 14,000km on it. I went for my first dirt road ride on it yesterday (my first dirt road ride for over 30 years). I think it's the right bike for me, but I have to make some changes. The bike came with a low seat, and I need a high one. I think I need handle bar raisers, steel foot pegs and maybe a high screen and some crash bars. I'd also like to get a bit more top end power out of it too. I couldn't get any more than 90 kph on the highway going up hills that were not that steep. I won't be pulling out to pass any trucks until I get that sorted out.
I'm from southside of Brisbane and will do most of my riding in SEQ and NE NSW.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
G'day to all KLR 650 Pilots in Australia and abroad it's been 3 years since my last post ,what's cooking Tom ! At the time I had 2500 on the clock now got 9500 racked up bikes going like a train ( Choo Choo Klr4ever ) I got 7500ks out of the original stock Dunlop trail max tires I really like them quite on the tar now running a set of Dunlop 606 sounds like I'm being chased by a swarm of bees still got the original muffler but I'm really close to an upgrade still no doohickey but on the radar
Didn't ride for little while family shit but recently a shift in priorities got me back out there and the south east coast of Australia has some great spots in the great dividing ranges to swag up by a river big shout out to Rockymoutainatvmc for the Tusk panniers I rate them high they do the job are tuff and cheap my kind of accessory
The best thing you can do to your bike is throw your leg over it a ride it for days

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys, well that's what I call a pregnant post pause. It's now 2021 and feels like we're in a whole new pandemic friggin dimension. All locked down and nowhere to ride! Feel like I need to bust out onto some of the local tracks to evade the fun police.
Here in the NSW Southern Highlands the winter days have been pretty cold this year - not a lot of sunshine. Just picked up a 2016 Camo with 14K on it. It's been left out in the weather more than I'd like, but I'm doing my best to tidy and modify to suit. I was a bit dismayed at the lack of top-end power and the need to fix the doohickey thing, but I think it will be worthwhile in the end. Have ordered the carb kit, bash plate, and exhaust but not committed to the Doo just yet. All in good time.
Previously had an XT600 which was good, but I just hated the dry sump set up. Never felt comfortable or accurate with the oil level. Had a 250 klr way back and regretted getting rid of it, so here we are again, just a bit bigger. Anyone else out there in the Highlands?

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
KwikLastRide, "I was a bit dismayed at the lack of top-end power"

The top-end power/speed of the LAMs approved Australian KLR650s can only be cured by epoxing closed the 2 'vacuum vent' holes just under the white plastic diaphragm retainer on the forward side of the throttle Slide. Or by installing a 1990's Harley Davidson Sportster throttle slide, which has no holes.
Either fix should get you about 85-90 mph / 135-140kph.

A carb re-jet kit by itself Will NOT add top-end, because the slide can not fully lift with those vent holes open!

·
Registered
2016 Camo KLR, Doohickey, MCP Carb correction, Delkevic muffler
17 Posts
Thanks for the reply PDW, much appreciated.
I have now fitted the Doohickey thanks to the great vids from Eagle Mike and others plus corrected the carb jetting with MCP and fitted a replacement slide without the unnecessary holes. I added a gnurled mixture screw and cable free choke. The only other important mod I need to do is the thermobob, which I'll get to eventually. It's a shame they are so expensive to buy in Aus. Interested to know what muffler Pieman went with. I fitted a Delkevic 450mm, from Queensland, which was reasonably priced, but I'm finding a bit on the loud side. I'd like to be able to sneak into a campsite without upsetting the neighbours, and not need earplugs on the highway.

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
The only other important mod I need to do is the thermobob, which I'll get to eventually. It's a shame they are so expensive to buy in Aus.
Is / was your bike fitted with the carburetor 'anti-icing' plumbing?
If so, by dis-connecting from the carb & using larger ID fittings & hoses you can convert from carb heater to a better re-circululating cooling system. Yeah, it would still have a 70C (160F) thermostat (until your acquire an 80 or 90C), but it would be 'better' than factory.

@Normk was the one that first found a source for higher temp thermostats (90C) for Watt-man to use.
Norm was drilling and tapping his own bypass in his & friends bikes to test, prior to giving his source information to Watt-man.
Here is a short thread, thou not exactly what I was looking for.
Thermo Bob 2

I really miss Normk's presents on this forum.

Reactions: C model

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have disconnected the coolant line from the carb and reconnected the hoses so as to continue circulating, but was curious to better understand the fittings in the line before modifying, so they are still the same small capacity. On the right side is a filter, which I found was mostly blocked, so have cleaned and reinstalled. The capacity of the filter is so small one wonders about it's effectiveness/reliablity in all but the cleanest cooling systems. On the left side line is a sealed plastic housing, which was also partly blocked by a blob of rusty mud. This appears to possibly contain a second thermostat, given its shape and from the small amount I can see, Photos attached.
I am planning to remove the radiator to have a small hole repaired at some stage so may well see if I can more clearly determine its function then. If any one can shed more light on this particular component I would be appreciative
Hand Finger Bicycle part Gas Cylinder

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Iris Rim

·
Administrator
9,970 Posts
It is an expensive valve, about $120AU/$90USD. The nomenclature is 491161081 - 01 VALVE-ASSY. It could be a simple restrictor to slow the coolant down, it could be a one-way valve, or it could be a thermostatic valve. Since it is spendy and has brass bits on it, I'm gonna go with thermostatic, and it shuts off coolant from circulating through the carb.

This is simply guesswork on my part as we don't have this carb heater on the US bikes, thus I've never laid eyes on one.

The valve is not a KLR-unique part. It is used on Wee Neeenjas and big ZZRs, Mules, KLX250s and a few others.

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
Tom is correct, it is a thermostatic valve to keep the carb from Over-heating in hotter conditions that could not allow carburetor icing in the first place.

The coolant filter was to only keep the tiny passage ways in the 'T' shaped anti-icing fitting from plugging up. Remove it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for your advice. When I have the radiator repaired I will get a new hose to minimise the risk of leak points. How necessary do you think the thermostatic valve in this line would be?
My Clymer manual makes no mention of any of these components. perhaps other Aussies have experience with removing this that they can share.

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
How necessary do you think the thermostatic valve in this line would be?
If you are Deleting the carb anti-icing, delete the thermostatic valve. Otherwise it will Defeat the radiator By-Pass modification that I mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for your advice. When I have the radiator repaired I will get a new hose to minimise the risk of leak points. How necessary do you think the thermostatic valve in this line would be?
My Clymer manual makes no mention of any of these components. perhaps other Aussies have experience with removing this that they can share.
G'day, John here - I've had my '08 since '09 and got rid of the whole system when the filter bowl looked dirty. That was many years & km ago. No problems.

Wood Hardwood Font Cross Symbol

The photo is the "T" that goes into the carby. There is no coolant/warmant circuit in the carby - it just goes up one side, into a hole, and then back down the other side. The ends of the circuit are just 6mm hose barbs (I think) that can be swapped for bolts (water pump housing and thermostat). One less thing to go wrong.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh, and G'day. I'm in living in Brisbane, Qld and bought my '08 in early '09. Yes, it did become an oil burner. I've only got about 80,000km on it - the last few years haven't been great, but I did just get back from 3500km to the Australian KLR Riders Rally in Betoota. And want to go again...
Cheers

Here's me in action on the first little dune on the road into Haddon Corner. If you ask nicely I'll post the video!

John
Sky Helmet Plant Mountain Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2018 KLR650
326 Posts
Damn! That would've been a scary few seconds for you. Why do we ride these things?
Thanks for posting that.

Reactions: oneblackdog
61 - 80 of 86 Posts