Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
I can save it. I Can Save It! I Can't SAVE IT! But at least you got it slowed down a fair bit. That helps a Bunch!

Glad that you had no real injuries and a good ride. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Damn! That would've been a scary few seconds for you. Why do we ride these things?
Thanks for posting that.
I think I was too dumb to be scared and just kept thinking "power-on to keep pushing through the sand".
Good question, normally I am Captain Sensible, but every now and then I do silly $h!7 to make up for it. This was especially silly when you consider the location. I am a bit embarrassed as it could have ended very badly and messed up the ride for the others.
My justification was that a couple of others had gone too slow on the first dune and got stuck & fell, as I did, and one of them also had a Safari tank which gravity feeds (no vacuum tap) and flooded the engine (requiring and oil change and carby removal & cleaning) while he was stuck under it. So, going a bit faster and staying on the power was my solution, unfortunately, I didn't know how much was really needed. Fortunately, I didn't go full Jeremy Clarkson.
I wasn't injured in any way at all, but, you can see the screen come over and hit me in the chin which broke the chin vent on my helmet (full-face helmet for the win) and the steering is all wonky (even after riding 1500km home and a full service of the whole front end). The current guess is that I have managed to bend the lower triple clamp, nothing as simple as a bent fork tube for me.
Thanks for watching.

·
Premium Member
2018 KLR650
326 Posts
"power-on to keep pushing through the sand"
Looks like you almost made it. Looks like another twenty or thirty metres would've got you back onto straight track.

"My justification was that a couple of others had gone too slow"
No justification needed for having a crack. I am not a sand riding expert, but I think the strategy of powering through is a good one for deep sand.

"The current guess is that I have managed to bend the lower triple clamp, nothing as simple as a bent fork tube for me"
Sorry to hear about the bike, but, glad your okay

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
The current guess is that I have managed to bend the lower triple clamp, nothing as simple as a bent fork tube for me.
The upper & lower triple clamps & fork tubes are probably just slightly twisted out of alignment.

I've never seen a bent triple clamp that Didn't Bend the fork tube(s).

With the bike on center stand/crate, lightly loosen F. axle, upper & lower triple clamp bolts. Straddle the f. wheel with your legs and twist back into alignment. Re-tighten everything.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts