Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.... how many have a garage that they can only see the floor in front of the tool box and under the bikes, well until today, mine was that way. Imagine my surprise when after moving that old XS 650 in the back, I find the set of D606's that I took off my KLR when I bought it. The front looks really great, the back shows maybe 75% tread left, bonus ! I was wondering what I was going to do for tires once I got to Moab next spring. Now I'll just get those pirelli scorpions and ride out on them, and then just spoon on the 606's when I get out there. Anyways, I can now see all the way to the back of the garage ! I have dad's magna back against the wall, the boys KE next to that, and my bio-diesel barrels in a more user friendly spot. The tool box needs some work, but just some straightening up. I will now have the room to get at least 2 KLR's in the garage for the tech day I hope to have here.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
There wasn't a choice for can't see the floor. :cry: I open the door and things start rolling out. :roll:

·
Registered
145 Posts
We had a flood in our crawl space last winter which cause some mold, so everything that was in the crawl space is still in the garage so I can't see my floor either...lol...Doug

·
Registered
9 Posts
My garage is too small so small that just doing a project in there qualifies it for "you can see the floor most days."

·
Registered
207 Posts
What daddyjoe said.
I am about to build a garage & based on how I keep my house i probably wont see the floor at all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah, I know, I should probably seek professional help.

My obsessive-compulsive organizational tendencies shine through in the garage. The garage on our house is way too small so I had to condense and organize. I put in a drop down ladder for quick access to the attic where I have all the yard type tools to get them out of the way. When my wife first saw the pegboard setup, she shook her head and said, "It's a sickness." I coated the floor with commercial grade "U-Coat-It" epoxy coating in cream color with terrazzo flecks and clearcoat. It's virtually impervious to liquids and stains, and I keep it clean enough you could safely eat off it most days. The most important thing I learned about the pegboard is that I now know when my wife has removed a tool so I can go track it down. I keep telling her, "A place for everything, and everything in its place." She hates it when I repeat this when I find a screwdriver in the kitchen drawer. She says there's medication for this.

All my sockets now live happily together...

Just one of the possibly over-organized tool drawers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had to go with "you can see the floor...." I took it to mean you can see parts of the floor big enough to put your foot. :lol: Hey! Gimme a break! It's still ridin' season! :lol:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Carl V,

We have a Corvette guy here at work that's a bit more anal than you (you do need help BTW).
He had cut out foam to hold all of his tools in the box.

He made the mistake of inviting us over for a party once (only once :wink: ).

We re-arranged all the tools in his box :lol:

Are you planning any party's soon?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine is a mess. I have enough room to walk to my bike or my car, and quite honestly it drives me nuts. One day I'm gonna freak out (soon!) and just purge all the junk that has been collected.

It wouldn't bother me as much if it was tools and such, but most of it is junk that was transferred from the basement of our old house to the garage of our new house (no basement). If it's not old computer equipment, its Christmas decorations.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My "garage" is a roof on poles, open front and one side, dirt floor. The KLR rests on a sheet of old plywood.

My shop building next door is messy though. :wink:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Carl, my garage is destined for a new coat of floor paint, but I must say, you are one very sick man LOL, really though, love how it looks , Now my toolbox on the other hand is a work of art, all the tools where they belong, and they are set in foam forms. I'll get a picture of it one of these days. My wife tells me if the garage looked like the inside of the tool box, I'd be able to eat off the floor, as it is, she says the garage is a good candidate for that extreme home makeover show :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm jealous of the foam cut outs. Trust me, my garage set up didn't always look like this. I inherited a lot of tools from my father and grandfather, so I had to find a place to put them all -- it was quite the mess with unsorted tools stuffed into cardboard boxes and 50 year old hand-carry tool chests where I couldn't find a thing. Then, I moved from an older house with a much bigger garage to this new house with the stupidly small garage. How the builders consider a 20' x 20' area a 2 car garage is beyond me (unless they drive Mini Coopers). If you actually parked 2 cars in there you would only be able to get a broom in with them, and you would have to get out of the cars like in Dukes of Hazard. With this, I was forced to condense and organize as much as possible.

I wanted a big rolling tool chest, but the one I wanted was $1100 while the sheet of vinyl coated peg-board was $11. One day I'll get the big roller with the foam cut outs!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the foam is pretty cheap realy, just go to lowe's or **** depot and get a sheet of 3/8 sheet pipe insulation {closed cell foam} pretty cheap stuff. set the tools on it and just trace it with an exacto knife, once all the tools are cut out, use a can of that spray adhesive to hold it in place. Might cost you $20 to do a roll away and a top box. My toolbox has I think 20 drawers total, and I think it did cost me around 20 for the foam. but I didn't do the bottom 3, as thats where the power tools and thor hammers are.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a 24x24 double garage built out back (to go with the shed and single car garage)...not big enough :shock: Bigger is always better when taking garage space.

BTW carlv-you scare me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When we built our new house I convinced my wife to let me build a 40x30ft. garage so I would have a place for all my toys and still have room to work in it..... :roll: ....well, you know what they say about "best laid plans"......the thing is full and I need to build another shed/garage/storage building to put some of this stuff!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 32 X40 shop and a 20 X 22 garage and I can barely get a car in the garage for reno. materials. The shop has 26 trikes, bikes, quads a 66 ford 1/2 ton and all my wood working tools I can barely get a car into or out of that one either. I need more space.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Carl you could eat Chistmas dinner in your garage. :lol: That thing is nice. I've got a 24x32 and it's fairly clean but I need more room. I would have went bigger but $$$$ kept it from being any bigger. My wife parks her SUV in the garage and my old truck is outside. The KLR is parked in it though. George Carlin did a comedy bit on stuff and what do you do with all of it. It was funny but so true.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you could eat off the floor in my garage ..... if you wanted "extra spices" :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts