Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a nice and windy Moto up and around Wyoming for 5 days, figured it was time to change the oil. I haven't changed the oil since receiving the bike, since this was done before my ownership. Previous change unknown. ~ 3000+ miles on this oil. Opening the oil filter cover and found this fascinating discovery! Never seen this before.... The consistency was more like paper than anything else. The oil came out clean (no debris) and dark (old), no particulates in the oil itself. So, after deliberating with my semi-professional mechanic (my father), we came to the conclusion that it was the paper from the oil filter doing funny things. Wondering if anyones else has seen this mama-jama? Thoughts, concerns, questions, pontifications???
Outerwear Hat Human body Chair Glove

Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Steering part Alloy wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
988 Posts
Definitely no bueno. I could be wrong with this assumption, but I’m thinking there might be antifreeze in that engine oil. Coolant & oil can do some funky things when mixed together for a long period of time.

At the very least, I would be doing a coolant leakdown test & pulling that valve cover off to inspect the camshaft caps. I bet the top end may have been running a bit dry with the looks of that filter. Let’s hope the oil filter bypass was functioning, but that doesn’t guarantee that everything’s hunky dory either….

Reactions: Reveille

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,119 Posts
I'd crap my shorts if I found that! Never in all my years have I seen a filter with anything like this on it. I've done many oil changes on many bikes over the years.
My suggestion is to get a oil fill cap that requires a tool to remove. You may have had someone add a little something extra while you were not looking? Also, after buying a used bike, first thing I always do is change fluids because previous owners tell tall tales.

·
Registered
742 Posts
OMGoodness. I haven't ever seen a filter look like that before either. This is one of the MAIN reasons why you NEVER trust what a PO says about ANYTHING regarding their motorcycle they're selling you. I never listen to a PO even if he tells me he changed the oil last night. When I get the motorcycle home some of the first things I do is change the oil and filter, replace the brakes and brake fluid, air filter, flush the radiator or replace the transmission fluid and nine times out of ten the motor needs a new battery. I've spent hours cleaning the crap off every chain from what the PO swears is the best chain lube in the world. I'm sorry but there are a lot of individuals out there that are willing to tell you what they think you want to hear all in the name of selling a motorcycle or car or whatever. It's unfortunate we live around individuals such as these.

Hope this serves as a reminder to others who purchase motors, or anything for that matter, to take a more proactive look at just what they are going to purchase or have purchased. It's really for your own good and safety.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely no bueno. I could be wrong with this assumption, but I’m thinking there might be antifreeze in that engine oil. Coolant & oil can do some funky things when mixed together for a long period of time.

At the very least, I would be doing a coolant leakdown test & pulling that valve cover off to inspect the camshaft caps. I bet the top end may have been running a bit dry with the looks of that filter. Let’s hope the oil filter bypass was functioning, but that doesn’t guarantee that everything’s hunky dory either….
Antifreeze in the engine!? Not so good. The material I found in the filter was a paper like quality, fibrous and oil absorbent. antifreeze mixing with oil, (and I'm still a student mechanic) I would assume would produce different oil viscosity, given that antifreeze has a consistency like water. Would I find oil in my antifreeze too? I'll check the top end, should I run the bike a bit, then check?

The last trip was 9hr highway ride up to, and 9hr highway back into Wyoming. if the top end was not getting oil wouldn't I have heard/ identified a problem then? No issues from the trip, other than foot peg mounting bolts becoming loose. Working on applying locktite to everything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd crap my shorts if I found that! Never in all my years have I seen a filter with anything like this on it. I've done many oil changes on many bikes over the years.
My suggestion is to get a oil fill cap that requires a tool to remove. You may have had someone add a little something extra while you were not looking? Also, after buying a used bike, first thing I always do is change fluids because previous owners tell tall tales.
Aww, fiddle sticks. some sneaker sliding stuff in my slump, I'll have to slap'em. I was given this bike as an early graduation gift from my father, and had 2,500 miles on it. He did the last oil change and in all my years knowing him, he is a trustworthy guy. He got the bike from a Harley dealer, and before that, the OG owner dropped some coin to pimp out this ride.

Do they make oil caps that need a tool to remove it? where can I find such a treasure?

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
988 Posts
Antifreeze does some odd things when it’s in anything other than your cooling system. For example: if it contaminates an automatic transmission, it’ll eat away at the clutch plate adhesive if it’s in there long enough.
Maybe it did something similar with your oil filter. Not sure….

Reactions: Aroohall

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OMGoodness. I haven't ever seen a filter look like that before either. This is one of the MAIN reasons why you NEVER trust what a PO says about ANYTHING regarding their motorcycle they're selling you. I never listen to a PO even if he tells me he changed the oil last night. When I get the motorcycle home some of the first things I do is change the oil and filter, replace the brakes and brake fluid, air filter, flush the radiator or replace the transmission fluid and nine times out of ten the motor needs a new battery. I've spent hours cleaning the crap off every chain from what the PO swears is the best chain lube in the world. I'm sorry but there are a lot of individuals out there that are willing to tell you what they think you want to hear all in the name of selling a motorcycle or car or whatever. It's unfortunate we live around individuals such as these.

Hope this serves as a reminder to others who purchase motors, or anything for that matter, to take a more proactive look at just what they are going to purchase or have purchased. It's really for your own good and safety.
What if the PO is your father? Feels like a Darth Vader/ Anakin situation. I hear your word of advice. any advice on what the filter could be?

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
988 Posts
Maybe @pdwestman will have some insight as to what this may be.
Considering your bikes super low mileage, this one is starting to stump me. I would still be pulling that valve cover and checking cam caps asap. Mise well check the valve shim clearances at the same time (y)

It might also be a good idea to change out that new engine oil & filter again after 25mi or so.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,119 Posts
Aww, fiddle sticks. some sneaker sliding stuff in my slump, I'll have to slap'em. I was given this bike as an early graduation gift from my father, and had 2,500 miles on it. He did the last oil change and in all my years knowing him, he is a trustworthy guy. He got the bike from a Harley dealer, and before that, the OG owner dropped some coin to pimp out this ride.

Do they make oil caps that need a tool to remove it? where can I find such a treasure?
Yes. Ebay, Amazon, eagle Mike etc. Lots of choices

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
That stuff looks like a ground up shop rag or something like that. I'm sure your father didn't sabotage your bike, but the Harley dealer or the OG owner may have left something in the engine, maybe while doing the dohickey?
I once bought a Honda that had a similar looking filter, but it was silver flakes in the filter. My heart sank, thinking the engine was toast. Then I felt the metal flakes and found they were SOFT. It turns out someone used too much silver colored silicone on a clutch side gasket and all of it on the inside got ground up. I cleaned the pick up screen and put a new filter in and put a lot of miles on it.

·
Administrator
4,501 Posts
Never seen anything like that either. Couple of questions. What year is the bike? Do you know the oil filter brand? What oil did your Dad put in It? Was the filter changed with the last oil change? Some folks change the filter every second change.
As to coolant. Is your coolant level down? Coolant is sweet. Before I went to the trouble of a leak down test I would get a bit on my finger and touch it to my tongue. :p

I doubt that someone put anything in your crankcase but stranger things happens. I personally don’t see the need to change the fill plug. Even requiring a tool doesn’t make it tamper proof to someone bent on opening it. When I put my plug on after an oil change I put it on snug, finger tight. When I need to remove it next oil change I need to use my crescent wrench to break it free.

Reactions: Aroohall

·
Registered
477 Posts
This is one of the MAIN reasons why you NEVER trust what a PO says about ANYTHING regarding their motorcycle they're selling you
exactly and it gives you a chance to get to know the new engine by doing or at least checking all the regular maintenance items.

the oil doesn't look like it has coolant in it, fill it up with new oil and a new filter and take it for a ride then pull the filter cover and take a look. my guess is a forgotten paper towel / rag or similar that hopefully didn't starve the engine.

·
Registered
2002 KLR 650
263 Posts
Looks like a forgotten paper towel fragment used to mop up oil when the filter was out being changed, or other engine work. Valve adjustment day ? Plugged up the timing chain tunnel with a paper towel ? Looks like the filter did its job though. Pop the valve cover, look at your caps and check valve clearances. Check coolant level and color. Oil and a good quality filter. Wyoming, warm. you didn't mention any overheating issues or odd oil consumption. As mentioned above , a leak down test would also make yourself feel better, it's also a exercise to know your bike better.

·
Registered
Early 2014 KLR650
245 Posts
With an inspection light have a good look deep into the oil fill hole and see if any of that stuff is hanging on any sharp edges in the clutch area. Might be a good idea to look under the valve cover and see if any is hanging around up there. Maybe the oil passage banjo bolt holes? Just thinking of easy spots to check without gasket changes. IF you can’t see any material in any of those easy places run it for just a bit (new oil and filter) then pull your new filter and see if there’s still any in the system floating around. Hopefully the filter caught all that stuff.

·
Registered
'08 KLR
325 Posts
I'm going to suggest something way less exotic and nefarious and suggest - paper towel. Someone - somewhat incompetent perhaps, but not evil - was doing something along the lines of a valve clearance check, stuffed a paper towel in the chain passage to avoid anything dropping down there, and forgot to remove it. Be sure and pull the clutch cover, because I bet the crankcase oil screen is also a gunked up mess. I would clean that screen, reassemble, fill the case with kerosene or diesel - DONT ROLL IT OVER - and slosh it back and forth then drain it well. Sacrifice one oil change - install a filter, fill with oil, run the motor at an easy clip for a few minutes to flush, the drain that oil, pull the filter (if it looks fine, you can probably reuse it, although 5 bucks...), pull the clutch cover and reclean the screen (if it stayed clean, yay!), put in fresh oil and drive it. Odds are, the screen and filter caught 99% of it (or all of it) on its first pass through the system and it didn't get fed through anything (lower end or cam bearings) that's pressure fed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like a forgotten paper towel fragment used to mop up oil when the filter was out being changed, or other engine work. Valve adjustment day ? Plugged up the timing chain tunnel with a paper towel ? Looks like the filter did its job though. Pop the valve cover, look at your caps and check valve clearances. Check coolant level and color. Oil and a good quality filter. Wyoming, warm. you didn't mention any overheating issues or odd oil consumption. As mentioned above , a leak down test would also make yourself feel better, it's also a exercise to know your bike better.
Good advice. Her and I are taking it slow. Learning as the things come up, and as everyone is mentioning, it is better to know before you go. So, her and I will spend some more mechanical quality time together. Coolant levels good, absolutely no over heating issue, or oil consumption before, during or after the trip. Valve check, oil filter recheck, and leak down test are all going to be done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm going to suggest something way less exotic and nefarious and suggest - paper towel. Someone - somewhat incompetent perhaps, but not evil - was doing something along the lines of a valve clearance check, stuffed a paper towel in the chain passage to avoid anything dropping down there, and forgot to remove it. Be sure and pull the clutch cover, because I bet the crankcase oil screen is also a gunked up mess. I would clean that screen, reassemble, fill the case with kerosene or diesel - DONT ROLL IT OVER - and slosh it back and forth then drain it well. Sacrifice one oil change - install a filter, fill with oil, run the motor at an easy clip for a few minutes to flush, the drain that oil, pull the filter (if it looks fine, you can probably reuse it, although 5 bucks...), pull the clutch cover and reclean the screen (if it stayed clean, yay!), put in fresh oil and drive it. Odds are, the screen and filter caught 99% of it (or all of it) on its first pass through the system and it didn't get fed through anything (lower end or cam bearings) that's pressure fed.
A paper towel is what I am leaning toward too. I appreciate your approach, and your knowledge. I'll dive into the clutch cover to get eyes on the crank case oil screen.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts