Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Modern (1965+?) proper operating temperature is closer to 195F+, but engine cooling systems NEED to have Radiator Bypass systems to operate Smoothly/Consistently, even with a mere 160F thermostat. Which one could use in the KLR Thermo-Bob, but that partially defeats its benefits.
Up here in northern NY, ridden for a few hours at a time, once Summer has passed I have found it useful to block off the bottom half of my T-bob equipt Gen 2 radiator. I use duct tape for the first 1/2 and then in the Fall, cover up another 1/4 with masking tape which is easy to remove. Pretty crude, but my temperature gauge finally gets up near the middle.

· Premium Member
12,573 Posts
A warmer engine is a happier engine and the aluminum castings of the KLR & most other motorcycle engines are one Giant heat radiator in cooler weather!

· Registered
313 Posts
Up here in northern NY, ridden for a few hours at a time, once Summer has passed I have found it useful to block off the bottom half of my T-bob equipt Gen 2 radiator. I use duct tape for the first 1/2 and then in the Fall, cover up another 1/4 with masking tape which is easy to remove. Pretty crude, but my temperature gauge finally gets up near the middle.
I salute all you winter animals. Enduring those harsh winter temps.

If you were on a Goldwing that would be a different story. Superior wind protection, heated grips, heated seat, plug in heated riding suit, windshield wiper, wet bar, fire pit, blackjack table, etc. Not really a bike but an Auto-cycle.

The coldest I have ever done was 38F on a KTM 1190 adventure. Bike had really good wind protection, heated grips, heated seat as a result of sitting over the rear cylinder and header. I would not attempt 38 degrees on my John Deere team green OMB.

Ride on brothers...ride on.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

41 - 44 of 44 Posts