Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am an avid dual sport rider from Ontario, Canada. I need to convert my 2013 klr to hand shift as I lost my left leg last April. Any suggestions would be helpful. It can't be that hard. I'd like to shift with the throttle hand, so having a strong bend to come across the back of the tank seems likely.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi guys, I am an avid dual sport rider from Ontario, Canada. I need to convert my 2013 klr to hand shift as I lost my left leg last April. Any suggestions would be helpful. It can't be that hard. I'd like to shift with the throttle hand, so having a strong bend to come across the back of the tank seems likely.
Are you below knee or above?

My son is BK. I put a heel/toe shifter on his bikes. Works for him.

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
There maybe the possibility to run a bell-crank shaft (mounted thru bushings supported by the 6mm side case screws on each side) below the exhaust pipe and above the metal oil pipe to allow for a Right side hand shifter mounted on a Tower alongside the fuel tank.
A triangulated bracket could possibly be built to anchor to the RH rear brake master cylinder and the RH sub-frame mount under the fuel tank to support the tower with about a 6-8 inch long "L" rocker handle as the hand shifter. The triangulated bracket could also be attached to the Right Side bushing supporting the bell-crank shaft for stability.

One could possibly use Four used ball & socket tie-rod ends from used sport bike shifters on both the long RH & short LH sides to keep weight to a minimum. Too much weight in the 'handle' & the linkage can over-whelm the return spring of the internal gear change shaft when riding thru pot holes or even water dips on public streets.
If designed properly the stroke of the upper RH linkage could partly be counter-balanced by the stroke of the LH lower linkage.

I once built a tower mounted LH hand shift for an ATV customer in a similar manner, but I didn't have to change sides with the shifter, so no bell-crank shaft was needed. The Kawasaki KLF400 Bayou ATV had a centrifugal auto clutch with 5 forward gears + reverse gear. Nothing was welded to the atv, so it could easily be re-converted for re-sale if need be.

There is also an Electric Quick-Shifter thread on this forum with both Up & Down shift capabilities (possibly for newer designed engines). Use the "Search Community" bar at the top.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honda has plenty of auto shift bikes on the market, DCT transmission. Maybe time for a new or different bike. They have the auto shift on a Africa Twin, NC700 etc.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Hi guys, I am an avid dual sport rider from Ontario, Canada. I need to convert my 2013 klr to hand shift as I lost my left leg last April.
Considered an auto-clutch kit? For example, Rekluse?

Rekluse Motorcycle Auto Clutch Lineup - Bing video

The marketing manager of a major off-road trail network lost a leg, hit by a hit-and-run motorist while he was a pedestrian. Not sure of the entire nature of his modification regarding gear-shifting mechanism, but he later rode his bike with auto-clutch, according to him, at nearly the same rate off-road as before his accident.

Best wishes for satisfactory modification of your motorcycle, accommodating your medical condition.

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
There is also an Electric Quick-Shifter thread on this forum with both Up & Down shift capabilities (possibly for newer designed engines). Use the "Search Community" bar at the top.
The Electric Quick-Shifters may have been posted on one of the numerous KLR650 FB groups, as I can't find it here.
I recon that 'Goggle' will become your friend in this matter.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would be thinking "electric" with thumb buttons "up and down" on the throttle side because the left hand is busy with the clutch. Maybe a vehicle door lock solenoid? Neutral is going to be an issue though.

I don't know if this is strong enough:
Amazon.com: Universal 2 Wire 12V Car Auto Motor Heavy Duty Power Slave Door Lock Actuator : Electronics

A "Marine shift cable" might also work. The problem there would be finding one short enough. They push as well as pull. Google it.

Also maybe a linkage:
Font Slope Parallel Diagram Drawing

·
Registered
31 Posts
I do not have any personal experience, but I went to the "Schnitz" site Dave suggested, and "Pingle" makes a quick shifter that is all electric. It seems simpler than the compressed air / electric variety. I would think the up / down shift buttons could be placed on the left by the clutch lever, keeping the right hand free for throttle & brake. Call me a wimp, but I can't see taking one of my hands off the bars on a loose rockey trail to make a hand shift. I'd probably catch my jewels on the tank mounted shift knob too.
Another thought would be to use a dual cable throttle type control on the clutch side. The 2 cables would both be pulling, so you wouldn't need the heavy push / pull marine shift cable. Vespa used to incorporate the shift with the clutch control. I think they were 3 speed, and the position of the twist selected the gear. In this case, I would think you would just need to twist one way for upshifts, and the opposite for downshifts. The clutch perch should probably be mounted to the throttle tube so you could "roll" them together. A crazy idea that would take some engineering.
Good luck on your quest.
Art

·
Registered
91 Posts
I do not have any personal experience, but I went to the "Schnitz" site Dave suggested, and "Pingle" makes a quick shifter that is all electric. It seems simpler than the compressed air / electric variety. I would think the up / down shift buttons could be placed on the left by the clutch lever, keeping the right hand free for throttle & brake. Call me a wimp, but I can't see taking one of my hands off the bars on a loose rockey trail to make a hand shift. I'd probably catch my jewels on the tank mounted shift knob too.
Another thought would be to use a dual cable throttle type control on the clutch side. The 2 cables would both be pulling, so you wouldn't need the heavy push / pull marine shift cable. Vespa used to incorporate the shift with the clutch control. I think they were 3 speed, and the position of the twist selected the gear. In this case, I would think you would just need to twist one way for upshifts, and the opposite for downshifts. The clutch perch should probably be mounted to the throttle tube so you could "roll" them together. A crazy idea that would take some engineering.
Good luck on your quest.
Art
This could be a fun project. There are several viable solutions offered here. I have the machine and fabrication capabilities.
However, I think I would skip all that and just buy one of Honda’s DCT models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m very sorry to hear this and the best of luck in getting this worked out.

·
Administrator
9,388 Posts
THIS IS AMAZING but I have one question about this instal. Why would you need an engine kill switch that momentarily cuts the engine when you can just pull the clutch and hit the button????
This is a drag racing accessory; its purpose is to allow for the fastest possible shifts. It is not intended to be used as a prosthetic device. Quick shifters, even foot-operated ones, utilize an engine kill to facilitate shifting so that the use of a clutch (and the time required to actuate one) is not required.

As a prosthetic device, the engine kill is not strictly required. This shifter does require an air supply in the form of an air bottle. That seems awkward for a non-racing application.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe the "Pingle" unit is all electric - no air required. You wouldn't need the engine kill - it's just part of their kit. A call to Pingle would determine what options they might have available.
Another thought would be to borrow from the flat track world, and put the shift & rear brake controls on the right foot. Again, I would want to keep my hands on the grips!

·
Administrator
9,388 Posts
@Art W., I see that you are correct, and thanks for pointing that out. The Pringle seems like a viable solution.

·
Registered
91 Posts
THIS IS AMAZING but I have one question about this instal. Why would you need an engine kill switch that momentarily cuts the engine when you can just pull the clutch and hit the button????
You could do that but the design is intended for full throttle clutch less shifts which needs that short interruption.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts